WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I always wear light nylon trousers, light nylon long sleeve shirt, wide-brim hat. I keep covered up from sun, insects, poison plants. In my pack is homemade silnylon raingear, about 3 oz for the anorak, 4 oz for the pants. Warmer layers include a Hot Chillies jersey, a Marmot Driclime jacket, a Marmot down vest for winter. The only extras I have are boxer briefs and socks.
    Me too (keeping covered up, that is). Don't like convertible pants or shorts. These days I am liking Duluth Trading Company Dry on the Fly pants. I prefer a wool blend t-shirt over nylon to help keep stink under control. I have a nylon OR wide brimmed hat. Will also take a buff (best UL multi-use garment there is). For cold layers I just have a generic fleece and rain jacket. Not really set up for 3-season hikes right now. I need a puffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Hot-Plain navy, black, or tan bathing suit with the liner cut out. Muscle tee gym shirt. Bandana to keep the sweat out of my eyes.
    Warm-shorts-see hot. Regular gym tee shirt. Bandana.
    Cool-shorts, see hot or maybe a regular pair of hiking shorts. Synthetic underwear and maybe a long sleeve gym shirt or lightweight polypro type thermal top. Bandana.
    Cold-Maybe some pants and the long sleeve. Fleece bandana. Wind shirt if hiking into the evening or the weather is squirrely.

Most of the above is from Wal-mart, and often from the discount rack. Full brim sunhat until it's cold, but I don't hike in it. I did get it from Wal-mart though.
    I'm with Alligator on this one. Over the years I've found no value in the expensive base layers. I've done the best with cheapo clearance items for shirts and shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    Bottoms:
    …For underwear, I now wear Ex-Officio Women's Bikini Brief as recommended by several other male forum members over the years. they cannot be bet for durability, fit, comfort weight and ease of washing and drying.
    Hmm. Can’t be beat for fit? But males need room in their underwear for their, well you know, junk. How does that work with women’s bikini briefs? Are they extra stretchy in that area perhaps? Just wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "In proportion as [man] ...simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." – Thoreau

Do you need stretchy or extra stretchy?
    " 6 bucks and my left nut says we're not going to be landing in Chicago" Del Griffith

Depends on the temperature

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

current hiking setup in GA and NC (and it's been cold, 40s during the early parts of the day, maybe 50s later)
    I (female) have been wearing a pair of polyester shorts from Danskin that I bought at walmart some time ago and a polyester shirt by Opna(?) that I buy on Amazon. I wear ex officio underwear and some cheap brand "sports bra" also from walmart more than likely. This is what I hike in. If necessary I will toss on my rain pants (sierra design) for warmth and a 1/4 zip "techwick" by EMS that I have had for years, probably a poly/nylon blend, until I warm up.

I have a second pair of shorts, t shirt and underwear as well as silk long johns for night time.
    I also carry a puffy which is from REI and is losing a bit of it's puffiness. Will probably upgrade that next year.
    I also carry a frogg toggs rain jacket but mostly only use it for extra warmth if needed or around "camp" when raining.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Clothing? That’s not UL.

I favor Railriders Ecomesh shirt and pants for most of the year. Fastest drying items I have tried. Great ventilation. In cold late fall through early spring I go with merino tops from NZ and Railriders Winter Weatherpants.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Smartwool boxers and base layers - 150 and 250 top and bottom
    Hanes Cool Dri t-shirt and long sleeve (100% polyester)
    Columbia nylon convertible pants

When I use base layers the polyester shirts go over to protect the merino and it is another light layer. The Hanes shirts come in safety orange for hunting season so no extra orange cover needed. To me the price/performance of the polyester shirts is unbeatable. They are very durable and dry out quick even when totally soaked and you have to ring them out. On sale (which they have a lot) you get the t-shirts for less then $10 (use to be $5 on sale)
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

My favorite alternative to convertible pants is to wear shorts over top of long johns.

Only piece of clothing I purchased at full pop; Patagonia R1 full zip/no hood: Man I love this thing.

I do like the REI convertible pants; has the most pocket/compartment and light: I took out the zipper fly and sewed in Velcro... one less failure point.

REI Marino wool socks, I wear em every day. At work, on my days off or hiking... I really like em. I have the thick ones for winter and the thin for all other seasons

I almost always hike in shorts, though I am not one to be out in true winter. I like shorts with deep pockets and no liner. I'm a woman for anyone who doesn't know. I usually wear a synthetic tshirt but am thinking of trying a merino shirt as my shirts end up stinking. I will hike like this down into the very low 40s. If it's rainy and windy I will add rain pants. Up top I will usually add another layer, currently loving my alpaca hoodie from appgearco. I recently added a merino buff instead of my older mountain hardwear buff as I can't breath through the MH buff so my face freezes. The merino one allows me to breath and cover my mouth and nose. I wear very thin merino liner gloves and recently added REI goretex overmitts. All this is on flat land with no pack so sometimes I add my puffy. When I have a pack on I need less clothing, especially if I have mountains to climb. although this gear is in the backpack for when I stop.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++