WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How we take a Warm Shower in the Wilderness while Hiking? - Sharing our Unique Shower

How we take a Warm Shower in the Wilderness while Hiking? - Sharing our Unique Shower System

Watch the full video here:

In this video we want to share with you how we manage to keep ourselves clean and take a shower while hiking in the wilderness. This may be a completely new thing in a camping and hiking world because the way we are doing it is quite unique. Hope it will be a useful video for some of the folks that are doing long distance hiking and still want to have the luxury of a warm shower at hand.
    Disclaimer: we don't have any affiliation with the brands and all items mentioned in the video were purchased by our own money.

What are your hygiene and shower secrets on the hiking trail?

If I don't have a lake nearby to go swimming, I heat up some (~400mL) water in my pot and dip a microfiber cloth (the yellow ones from Costco) in it, and use it to wipe the salty dirt from my skin (no soap). When the water is all gone I wring out the washcloth and use it do dry myself.

This incurs a weight penalty of 2oz for the washcloth and uses a couple grams of canister fuel, but I don't sleep well when I am grimy so it is worth it to me.

And yes, I use deodorant (unscented) on the trail.

Better yet, hike with someone you don't have to hide from in a tent to shower while wearing a bathing suit.
    Shower bag left in the sun a couple hours, hung from a tree?

Hike the Kungsleden in northern Sweden where many of the huts have a wood burning sauna. Chop wood, carry a bucket of water up from the lake, fire up the stove, and wash up. Clothing is discouraged, but no one else cares so you shouldn't either. You need a small towel to sit on. You will all run down to jump in the lake together to cool down. By late summer, the glacier-fed lakes should be at least a few degrees above freezing. Repeat.

Note. The saunas are not operating this summer due to Covid so you may need to wait until next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goodman View Post
    Better yet, hike with someone you don't have to hide from in a tent to shower while wearing a bathing suit.
    Shower bag left in the sun a couple hours, hung from a tree?
    They just use the tent when there are chilly winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycat View Post
    If I don't have a lake nearby to go swimming, I heat up some (~400mL) water in my pot and dip a microfiber cloth (the yellow ones from Costco) in it, and use it to wipe the salty dirt from my skin (no soap). When the water is all gone I wring out the washcloth and use it do dry myself.

This incurs a weight penalty of 2oz for the washcloth and uses a couple grams of canister fuel, but I don't sleep well when I am grimy so it is worth it to me.

And yes, I use deodorant (unscented) on the trail.
    Thanks for sharing your technique, washclothing seems interesting to try especially on the days with bad weather. What kind of deodorant you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Hike the Kungsleden in northern Sweden where many of the huts have a wood burning sauna. Chop wood, carry a bucket of water up from the lake, fire up the stove, and wash up. Clothing is discouraged, but no one else cares so you shouldn't either. You need a small towel to sit on. You will all run down to jump in the lake together to cool down. By late summer, the glacier-fed lakes should be at least a few degrees above freezing. Repeat.

Note. The saunas are not operating this summer due to Covid so you may need to wait until next year.
    This sounds like an experience itself, would love to try it one day

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Nature World View Post
    Thanks for sharing your technique, washclothing seems interesting to try especially on the days with bad weather. What kind of deodorant you use?
    Mitchum gel, it is strong and isn't nearly as stinky as the scented varieties. It still has an aroma to it, but it is very mild.

++ New Posts ++