WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Confusion about rules & access @ Baxter

Later this month, I plan to return to Maine to hike from Monson to Katahdin with 4 other hikers. This will be my final section of an end to end hike that has taken 21 years, beginning in Georgia in October 2000. My wife and two other non-hikers are also traveling to be there for the finale (and to re-supply us at Jo Mary Road). They will be staying in Millinocket in a house that I have rented for them. My plan has been, that once we exit the Hundred Mile Wilderness, I wanted to have them pick us up at Abol Bridge. We would stay the night in Millinocket, and return the next morning and "slack pack" into Baxter. They would pick us up again inside the park, probably at Perimeter Road near Katahdin Stream Campground, take us in to Millinocket for the night and return us the next morning for our climb up Katahdin. I saw this as a way to visit with them and also take some load off of Baxter's Katahdin Stream Campground which would, that night, have 5 fewer campers if I can follow my plan. When I called Baxter Park and discussed this with a young lady, she said that this could not be done, and that we could not be picked up and dropped off within the park. This seems illogical, especially knowing that it seems to support the expressed goal to reduce campers inside the park. I am wondering if perhaps the person that I spoke with misunderstood my intention. Does anyone have any insight? Plus, if there is no option for picking up or dropping off hikers, how do the 5 of us get picked up and taken out of the park after we summit and climb down from Katahdin? I am very confused! I have planned logistics for dozens of trips over these 21 years to get to this point, but the last 2 days in Baxter has me completely confused!

Not sure how you described it to the staff at the park but what are talking about is done all the time. The park is open for day use by anyone so your family would pull in at Togue Pond gate and pay the road fee and go pick you up at KSC. You ride out with them to town and the next morning they go back to Togue Pond gate with you and pay the road fee again and then get dropped off. They can either drive out of the park or hang around until you get back down. The one caution is they can only drop you off at the three trailhead parking lots and can not park there without a day use permit. Those lots are Abol, KSC and Roaring Brook. So you would need to agree upon a time to meet when you come down or get a permit. In my experience the rangers watch the permitted cars closely in the AM but are far more flexible late in the day as the lots empty out. There are several roadside or near roadside places to spend a few hours in the park. They could go rent a canoe at Kidney or Daicey Pond and get great views during the paddle. KSC Abol and Roaring Brook parking lots are all pretty boring to hang around so I would suggest just a drop off and go somewhere more interesting.

The AT lodge in Millinocket does something similar daily. Dropping off and picking up thruhikers. They are a commercial entity and require a commercial permit to work in the park but as private party there is not required.

Note there is thru hiker permit program that could apply when coming in through Abol bridge but since you are not camping in the park and not an actual "thru hiker" I do not even think the try hiker permit applies.

There are others more knowledgeable, but I wanted to offer what I know -- hopefully it's useful, otherwise I too can benefit from the education others can provide....

My understanding is that the park will allow approved shuttle services in to drop off & pick up Katahdin hikers. The AT Lodge in Millinocket is one of these approved shuttle services. Contacting them will either assist you directly with your logistics, or can at least answer your questions. They are superb. Just Google AT Lodge and you should find there good website.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    what are talking about is done all the time.
    THANKS! That is what I thought too, and was a bit astonished to be told that we could not do it. I hope that you are right. I know that lots of changes were made about 3 - 4 years ago, and don't know what sort of changes may have arisen after COVID.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    The AT Lodge in Millinocket is one of these approved shuttle services. Contacting them will either assist you directly with your logistics, or can at least answer your questions. They are superb. Just Google AT Lodge and you should find there good website.
    Good suggestion to contact AT Lodge. Thanks.

I'm certain they can help you out, either with direct assistance or by giving first rate information & advice. When you can, please post what you learn for others -- it seems that a lot of people have misunderstandings, poor assumptions, or just poor information about BSP's rules & regulations (and why they exist), and sadly they end their epic adventures in one of the country's most beautiful places with bitter, disappointed feelings. It really doesn't have to be that way.

And on that note -- I hope this last section of your 21 year adventure is a great one for you! Congratulations -- it's a fantastic achievement!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Congrats on finishing your section hike!
    The HQ folks are well informed regarding rules and practices regarding access. I'm sure you got the correct answer to the question you asked - so, was your question correct? Were you asking about gaining access to a campground's closed lot?

If you hike in from Monson you qualify to stay at the Birches, why not do that instead of going into Millinocket?

The Nobo’s guide to Baxter and Katahdin for 2021
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Congrats on finishing your section hike!
    The HQ folks are well informed regarding rules and practices regarding access. I'm sure you got the correct answer to the question you asked - so, was your question correct? Were you asking about gaining access to a campground's closed lot?

If you hike in from Monson you qualify to stay at the Birches, why not do that instead of going into Millinocket?

The Nobo’s guide to Baxter and Katahdin for 2021
    Thanks TJ. Yes, I readily admit that I did not get the sense that the person that the young lady that I was speaking with was understanding the question that I was asking. Indeed there may have been a disconnect between what I was saying and what she was hearing. It did not help that there was also a horrible phone connection. I am going to reach back out, and also follow up on other suggestions in this thread. I may be overly concerned, and definitely am guilty of over-planning at times, but after 20 years and 2100+ miles, I want to have everything nailed down that I can to ensure finishing well.

As for your question, I am torn. I think that I would enjoy staying at the Birches. Heck, I have always stayed on trail. I have only stayed one night in a hostel from GA to ME. My reasons to want to stay in Millinocket are twofold: (1) My wife, who has patiently indulged my obsession for two decades, is flying up for the finale and I would like to spend that evening prior to summit with her, and (2) for the past two years, I have suffered from nagging tendonitis in my Achilles that gets a bit more severe each day of a multi day hike. By staying in town the night before, I can ice it down and (hopefully) lessen the pain a bit for the big climb up Katahdin. However, I just got a cortisone injection last week that I HOPE will go along way towards making this manageable.

The other major plus is that you can go up the AT and come down the East side of the mountain to Roaring Brook via a couple of different trails including the Knife Edge, The Saddle trail or Hamlin Ridge Trail. You would get dropped off at KSC and picked up at Roaring Brook. If you can get a parking pass at Roaring Brook, your wife could take a short flat and level walk over to Sandy Stream Pond to see the resident Moose who normally hang out at the pond. Coming down the East side is not normally an option for thru hikers as their packs and the AT Lodge pick up is at KSC. There is no easy way down but the Saddle Trail in combination with the Chimney Pond Trail to Roaring Brook is easiest and and least exposed or the routed down. If its nice day either Hamlin Ridge or the Knife Edge are hard to beat but they are longer more rugged routes with the Knife Edge the most difficult (but very popular).

Spoke again with the staff at Baxter and they did confirm that to qualify to hike Katahdin without a day pas, you must have a continuous hike from at least Monson or further and that you cannot go in to town for the night from Abol Bridge because it is then not an uninterrupted hike. I did forget to ask if hammock camping is allowed at The Birches. Does anyone know if it is allowed and, if so, is it practical to do so (adequate trees)? The five of us all are hammock campers. If hammock camping is not allowed, we'll need to arrange to swap out hammocks for tents at Abol Bridge.

Okay so your plans appear to have changed from your OP. Previously you said you were going into town and not staying in the park the night before, now you appear to want to stay at the Birches?. Yes the Birches are for thruhikers and that is enforced although ultimately its the hikers word as there is no formal way of tracking hikers through the 100 mile Wilderness. The trees are large enough for hammocks and in the past when I visited people were using hammocks and tented but the site is limited to 12 hikers. I do not know what the current policy is. The intent is to accommodate true thruhikers or Lashers who do not have to capability to plan what day they arrive at the park. If someone can meet you at Abol Bridge then they can plan to make reservations using the normal system. There is a major temptation for friends and family to meet the hiker outside the park and join the hiker for the last night or so and stay at the Birches which fills up limited slots for legit folks. In the past the Birches was also abused by folks who just wanted to get in the park for an overnight without reservations and many groups would also abuse the intent. With a group of five it would be best to avoid the Birches.

++ New Posts ++