WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Are we finally getting a Lyme vaccine for human use?

Some 20 plus years ago it looked as if a Lyme disease vaccine was going to happen. It was approved for dogs - but pulled for human use. The reasons were complicated and perhaps unreasonable. But here we go again:

https://slate.com/technology/2021/07...ncy-ticks.html
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I would imagine most here will be interested in getting this vaccination given the alternatives, frankly I cannot imagine why those spending a good deal of time in the great out-of-doors would not be. Since Lyme disease is not communicable the vaccination only impacts those who opt to get it so it should limit the impact of those who champion ignorance over science.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Some 20 plus years ago it looked as if a Lyme disease vaccine was going to happen. It was approved for dogs - but pulled for human use. The reasons were complicated and perhaps unreasonable. But here we go again:

https://slate.com/technology/2021/07...ncy-ticks.html
    I'd pay $500. Maybe $1000 if it gave lifetime benefit.

If it worked well and had long term effectiveness, $500 would be a flat out bargain compared to the alternative.

Thanks for the reminder; I heard that story on a podcast a couple months ago. That vaccine would be good. You know what would be great? A vaccine (or series) against all the tick-borne diseases. Lyme is just the tip of the spear of the crap those little buggers can saddle you with.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    Thanks for the reminder; I heard that story on a podcast a couple months ago. That vaccine would be good. You know what would be great? A vaccine (or series) against all the tick-borne diseases. Lyme is just the tip of the spear of the crap those little buggers can saddle you with.
    I was gonna say something along these same lines. Like the lone star tick vaccine that may prevent lifetime diseases.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    Yeah, the list of tick transmitted diseases is l-o-n-g. Here's a copy and paste of diseases just in the US from CDC at https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/diseases/index.html

Anaplasmosis is transmitted to humans by tick bites primarily from the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis) in the northeastern and upper midwestern U.S. and the western blacklegged tick (Ixodes pacificus) along the Pacific coast.

Babesiosis is caused by microscopic parasites that infect red blood cells. Most human cases of babesiosis in the U.S. are caused by Babesia microti. Babesia microti is transmitted by the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis) and is found primarily in the northeast and upper midwest.

Borrelia mayonii infection has recently been described as a cause of illness in the upper midwestern United States. It has been found in blacklegged ticks (Ixodes scapularis) in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Borrelia mayonii is a new species and is the only species besides B. burgdorferi known to cause Lyme disease in North America.

Borrelia miyamotoi infection has recently been described as a cause of illness in the U.S. It is transmitted by the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis) and has a range similar to that of Lyme disease.

Bourbon virus infection has been identified in a limited number patients in the Midwest and southern United States. At this time, we do not know if the virus might be found in other areas of the United States.

Colorado tick fever is caused by a virus transmitted by the Rocky Mountain wood tick (Dermacentor andersoni). It occurs in the the Rocky Mountain states at elevations of 4,000 to 10,500 feet.

Ehrlichiosis is transmitted to humans by the lone star tick (Ambylomma americanum), found primarily in the southcentral and eastern U.S.

Heartland virus cases have been identified in the Midwestern and southern United States. Studies suggest that Lone Star ticks can transmit the virus. It is unknown if the virus may be found in other areas of the U.S.

Lyme disease is transmitted by the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis) in the northeastern U.S. and upper midwestern U.S. and the western blacklegged tick (Ixodes pacificus) along the Pacific coast.

Powassan disease is transmitted by the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis) and the groundhog tick (Ixodes cookei). Cases have been reported primarily from northeastern states and the Great Lakes region.

Rickettsia parkeri rickettsiosis is transmitted to humans by the Gulf Coast tick (Amblyomma maculatum).

Rocky Mountain spotted fever (RMSF) is transmitted by the American dog tick (Dermacentor variabilis), Rocky Mountain wood tick (Dermacentor andersoni), and the brown dog tick (Rhipicephalus sangunineus) in the U.S. The brown dog tick and other tick species are associated with RMSF in Central and South America.

STARI (Southern tick-associated rash illness) is transmitted via bites from the lone star tick (Ambylomma americanum), found in the southeastern and eastern U.S.

Tickborne relapsing fever (TBRF) is transmitted to humans through the bite of infected soft ticks. TBRF has been reported in 15 states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Kansas, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming and is associated with sleeping in rustic cabins and vacation homes.

Tularemia is transmitted to humans by the dog tick (Dermacentor variabilis), the wood tick (Dermacentor andersoni), and the lone star tick (Amblyomma americanum). Tularemia occurs throughout the U.S.

364D rickettsiosis (Rickettsia phillipi, proposed) is transmitted to humans by the Pacific Coast tick (Dermacentor occidentalis ticks). This is a new disease that has been found in California.

I've never met a tick I didn't hate
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries
    Images

That article is hopeful and yes I would pay to have that shot...Be worth it...
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Yeah, the list of tick transmitted diseases is l-o-n-g.
    Here in Europe we especially hate tick-borne encephalitis (TBE).

In 2001 I was getting so many tick bites that my doctor offered me the three-phase shots. I had the first two rounds but when I went back for the third she said it had been discontinued. I regret not getting the third. Over the years I've had hundreds of tick bites, unfortunately. I've had three cases of Lyme, cured quickly and effectively with doxycycline. Last year after routine blood work I was contacted by the county health department and informed I had babesiosis, but I never did have any symptoms. I would welcome a Lyme vaccine. By the way, my insurance covered it back then.

Why are you religious, you don't believe in protection? If you treat everything and wear pants tucked into socks etc.
    Like deet or permethren etc. I'm trying to be rude I'm just trying to understand why so many tick bites.

I apologize I'm trying not to be rude.

Images

Some more related articles including clinical trial progress of Lyme PrEP antibody shot. Maybe we'll have a shot by 2023:

https://www.umassmed.edu/news/news-a...onal-immunity/
    https://www.penbaypilot.com/article/...l-trial/144206

For me, prevention is still the most desirable solution. I treat all my clothes with Permethrin, use Deet and do a Tick check after being outdoors.

A vaccine for 1 of many different tick-born diseases does not excite me.

I think this is another/different vaccine in testing now....if I understand correctly, it targets proteins in the tick saliva, so primarily works by causing a targeted immune response at the bite site, which somehow decreases the ticks feeding ability, maybe causing them to fall off; and also would alert the host (you or me) with an evident rash/reaction at the bite site so you would know the thing was there and could remove it in a timely fashion. or something like that...! The article also refers to some protection against actual Lyme disease as well, but the process was not clear in this article (maybe due to decreased feeding efficiency of the tick, transmission is less likely even if the tick remains).

Interesting read anyway. I haven't gone looking for the actual journal articles; there is certainly more information out there.

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2021/...sease-vaccine/

Quote Originally Posted by justhike View Post
    Interesting read anyway. I haven't gone looking for the actual journal articles; there is certainly more information out there.
    https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2021/...sease-vaccine/
    Agreed - interesting read - thanks for sharing justhike!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

++ New Posts ++