WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by NY HIKER 50 View Post
    I complained about this to the NY/NJ Trail Conference. I tried crossing and a car sped up on purpose and got in the lane where I was crossing I now walk about .5 to 1 mi. to the crossing near the bookstore. The Parkway necks down there and it's a little safer. Anyone else?
    I live close by and have crossed the Palisades Parkway a fair number of times, at the AT crossing and at Pyngyp and maybe others. The saving grace is that there's a median between north- and south-bound lanes so you only have to worry about traffic from one direction at a time, but there's no such thing as casually sauntering across. Even if you don't see any traffic it is not unusual to have cars going 80mph so it's best to always treat the situation with urgency and get your ass across it pronto.

But, that has got to be one of the most unusual places on the AT for a hiker sign-in box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    Some of the did pretty well at "ultralight" for over 100 years ago. If you read Woodcraft and Camping by Nessmuk (George Washington Sears), the author makes the claim that his canoe, extra clothing, blanket-bag, two days rations, pocket axe, fishing rod and backpack never exceeded 26 lb. That weight had to be in the summer season, and even then I take it with a grain of salt, but we're not talking huge weights here considering the materials available then. Definitely not leave-no-trace, but not at all bad considering the type of materials. And the book does caution for conservation; he laments the destruction of a favorite campsite due to overuse. Here's a link to a description of some of his gear: https://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/201...rsnessmuk.html
    As today, it seems they deluded themselves with what I call FSW, which is Fantastical Spreadsheet Weight... or the equivalent thereof in ye olde dayes.

Nowadays, if anybody wants to play that game I keep a digital luggage scale in the car for obtaining TPW at the trail head.

Colin Fletcher may be the father or traditional backpacking as expressed up to the first part of the 1990's, but, I thought Ray Jardine was the father of "Modern" backpacking that is used today. When I look at most long distance hikers, I'm seeing more Jardine's philosophies than Fletcher in their approach. Though Fletcher may be a bit more diplomatic in his writing, especially the early Jardine stuff (The Ray way or the highway) and his insistence on removing brand names from gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Colin Fletcher may be the father or traditional backpacking as expressed up to the first part of the 1990's, but, I thought Ray Jardine was the father of "Modern" backpacking that is used today. When I look at most long distance hikers, I'm seeing more Jardine's philosophies than Fletcher in their approach. Though Fletcher may be a bit more diplomatic in his writing, especially the early Jardine stuff (The Ray way or the highway) and his insistence on removing brand names from gear.
    Jardine and Golite definitely changed the way I looked at things.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Jardine and Golite definitely changed the way I looked at things.
    I was about to finally buy a pack but by that time they were gone.

Quote Originally Posted by NY HIKER 50 View Post
    I was about to finally buy a pack but by that time they were gone.
    Well there's always My Trail Company....... uh, wait....

Journal Entries

Well there's always My Trail Company....... uh, wait....
    Here and gone, then here and gone. I've checked. I'm now using something that most people don't think of. The continental rucksack.

Journal Entries

I live close by and have crossed the Palisades Parkway a fair number of times, at the AT crossing and at Pyngyp and maybe others. The saving grace is that there's a median between north- and south-bound lanes so you only have to worry about traffic from one direction at a time, but there's no such thing as casually sauntering across. Even if you don't see any traffic it is not unusual to have cars going 80mph so it's best to always treat the situation with urgency and get your ass across it pronto.
    But, that has got to be one of the most unusual places on the AT for a hiker sign-in box.
    I just checked with Palisades Interstate Parks Commission. They told me a lot of the park is now taken over by the AMC. They took over the bookstore at Reeves Meadow and other places. Expect to see caretakers and fees charged eventually at the shelters and other parts of the park. They don't even want anyone coming to the lodge there unless you're paying. Nuff said.

The park commission is just not day guest friendly here sorry to say. Its still a great new AMC camp for those who want a overnight experence.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++