WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Advice needed on airport near Harpers Ferry and more

Hello!
    My son and I wish to start a hike at Harpers Ferry and proceed north.
    What airport should we travel to that is reasonably near Harpers Ferry?
    Who might be a shuttle service to get us to the trail at Harpers Ferry?
    And I need to explain that we plan to hike 50 miles or so then get ourselves back to said airport)
    (I tried to post this a while back and I didn’t seem to succeed so if it shows up twice, I apologize.
    Thank You,
    Seesfar

I would think Dulles, just west of Washington DC.

Then check out access to the train to HF.

Looks like you can take the DC Metro into DC Union Station, then the MARC train to Harpers Ferry.

Yes, cheap and easy to catch DC metro to the train at Union Station. I've gone both ways- to and from HF. Train both times was at low capacity so no issue to keep backpack with me and use a "spare" seat during the ride. No one complained about the "smelly" passenger either

I made a quick trip home on my hike. Pickup train at Harpers Ferry then metro to Dulles AP. I had to overnight in DC because of flight schedules. Then just reverse the process when returning. Very easy ...

You can fly to Reagan National Airport (DCA), Dullas (IAD), or Baltimore Washington Airport (BWI). It doesn't matter much which as they all have direct transport to Union Station in DC, although BWI is a Southwest hub, if that helps. From there you can take Amtrak or MARC commuter train to HF. Hike south 50 miles to Front Royal. From there you can take Megabus back to Union Station to get back to the airport.

Oops. I see you said to hike north from HF. That's harder as you will be in southern PA where there isn't much public transportation on the trail. 50 mi north will take you to Old Forge Park. From there you would have to get a 20 mile shuttle to Hagarstown MD . From there you can get a bus to either a MARC train or Metro subway station. These will take you back to Union Station. But I can't help you with that 20 mile shuttle.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    You can fly to Reagan National Airport (DCA), Dullas (IAD), or Baltimore Washington Airport (BWI). It doesn't matter much which as they all have direct transport to Union Station in DC, although BWI is a Southwest hub, if that helps. From there you can take Amtrak or MARC commuter train to HF. Hike south 50 miles to Front Royal. From there you can take Megabus back to Union Station to get back to the airport.
    We could go south… interesting. Thanks!

Thank you much

Flying to Dulles and taking an Uber to HF would get you on trail the fastest. To save some money (or to visit DC prior to the hike), fly to DCA and take the MARC train or Amtrak to Harpers Ferry.

If hiking 50 miles north from HF, you could arrange for a shuttle back to HF or Dulles. If you can hike about 110 miles north, you could end in Carlisle and take a bus to Harrisburg and a Greyhound to Union Station. I did that several years ago and it worked out well.

Half App Shuttlers 304-919-0595

++ New Posts ++