WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bidet vrs toilet paper

Is this in option for you?
    Supposedly a bidet even at home is alot far better than smearing poo with paper around your buttocks. You'll just have to carry a small bottle no paper to keep dry. And would you have to filter bidet water?
    Two brands I seen were the " Qulo clean" and the "buttler" modern portable bidet.

Thoughts ????

The added weight of carrying a bottle with unfiltered water (or depletion of filtered water in the moment) would dissuade me. Seems a lot of work for a fairly simple task that will likely need a "finishing touch" with some TP or cloth rag anyway to verify sanitary status and removal of extraneous water. Frankly, I don't see it as much of an option.

I know someone who actually uses STICKS! Don't ask for any details because I have never ventured to ask myself but he is not the first person I have heard of that uses that method.On the other hand,my Dad grew up using corncobs and then as they became more affluent,switched over to Sears Roebuck Catalogs.I agree with Traveler on the issue so I use paper,pack it in,pack it out.

Ha! We were recently gifted an add-on electric bidet to assist with elder care (my wife and I take care of her mom who lives with us and has Alzheimer's). The old lady can't work the buttons, so my wife and I have been using it. It feels really nice to get the extra surface cleaning, but it's just that: surface cleaning. IMO, it does not replace TP.

never thought I'd be sharing this on Whiteblaze, but we have the Swash lt89 I think. had to run an extension cord over to it for the powered features.

https://www.brondell.com/swash-lt89-...ed-bidet-seat/

Quote Originally Posted by PatmanTN View Post
    never thought I'd be sharing this on Whiteblaze, but we have the Swash lt89 I think. had to run an extension cord over to it for the powered features.

https://www.brondell.com/swash-lt89-...ed-bidet-seat/
    Well thanks for sharing that lol . When you added the bidet how did you get hot water to mix with the cold water? Years ago when I used to install them in homes we had to run hot and cold water to the bidet toilet as well as a outlet behind the toilet.

Garlic
    Images

I had to check to be sure this wasn't in the humor forum. But I'll go there anyway. I visited a friend's house recently for the first time since COVID arrived. She had installed a fancy toilet seat with a bidet feature. A small power cord for the toilet seat came from the outlet at the sink, where the toothbrush charger was plugged in as well. The cords were so nicely tied together, it was impossible to tell which cord was which. That prompted me to jokingly ask, "Is your toilet seat hooked up to your toothbrush?" That didn't go over very well. I got a good laugh from her husband.

Another friend hiked the CT a few years ago, with only one resupply, and without any TP. It's dry enough out here you can't rely on water supply for personal hygiene every day. He says he did fine with vegetation and stones.

I've never used a bidet. I'm blessed, I think, with a regularity that allows me to go through life with 4 to 6 squares of TP per day, or a few rolls per year. I have no problem carrying that on even a long hike.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

[QUOTE=JNI64;2288227]Well thanks for sharing that lol . When you added the bidet how did you get hot water to mix with the cold water? Years ago when I used to install them in homes we had to run hot and cold water to the bidet toilet as well as a outlet behind the toilet.[/QUOTE

It connects to cold water and has a small heater in the device; there is a small storage tank on the side where the water is heated. Also some kind of pump pressurizes the spray. A little nozzle motors out to spray then retracts when you stop it.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Well for one thing, you don't have to carry a bottle of water around with you, you just grab some water when the time comes, and filtering isn't necessary. I've used rocks, snowballs (refreshing!), and leaves, and they all work. I carry a culo clean bidet, and some TP. Nice to have options, and cleaning your nether regions with water really helps avoid chafing.

But to play on a well-known hiker phrase: wipe your own wipe!

In Japan, it's common to have "power wash" toilets.

[QUOTE=PatmanTN;2288229]
    Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Well thanks for sharing that lol . When you added the bidet how did you get hot water to mix with the cold water? Years ago when I used to install them in homes we had to run hot and cold water to the bidet toilet as well as a outlet behind the toilet.[/QUOTE

It connects to cold water and has a small heater in the device; there is a small storage tank on the side where the water is heated. Also some kind of pump pressurizes the spray. A little nozzle motors out to spray then retracts when you stop it.
    Huh interesting, some of them have a blower on them as well for blow dry. I've installed them they're toto brand from Japan.
    Like Deadeye says it's what they use in Japan.
    And garlic 08 there's no way I could survive on that tp budget, I'd be taking alot more showers. I worked with a guy years ago that was so frugal he would leave his wife like 2,3 square of tp for the day lol,true story.

I've used snow that's an awesome experience everyone should experience ,very refreshing feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    "Is your toilet seat hooked up to your toothbrush?" That didn't go over very well. .....................
    Now that's really funny. Thanks for sharing !!!
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

I was over a friend's house for a get together and had to use the restroom and when I came out I told him I hope you don't mind but I had to use your portable bidet sitting on the counter, ie water pick for your teeth. Oh the look I got from his wife,I was never invited back for some reason.
    Butt ( pun intended) I got this idea from Dixies new video.

Bidet

Yes - been using one ("travel bidet") since the end of last year. On trail, and at home...
    Very much prefer it.
    YMMV of course.

The one I use screws on (as opposed to pops in via o-ring or baffles friction), fits every water bottle I've tried it on (yes, "smart water" bottles included), and weighs....

7 grams, or 1/4 of an ounce.

If there's one lighter I haven't found it.

- willin

Quote Originally Posted by u.w. View Post
    Bidet

Yes - been using one ("travel bidet") since the end of last year. On trail, and at home...
    Very much prefer it.
    YMMV of course.

The one I use screws on (as opposed to pops in via o-ring or baffles friction), fits every water bottle I've tried it on (yes, "smart water" bottles included), and weighs....

7 grams, or 1/4 of an ounce.

If there's one lighter I haven't found it.

- willin
    Ditto here. I use the travel bidet from Hello Tushy, home and away, and would NOT go back if I could avoid it. I wish I hadn't waited so long to try it! Will probably install aftermarket attachment for our toilets. Cold water does fine - it's a bit bracing, to be sure, but it gets the job done and it doesn't freeze you since it only hits a small part of your body, much less than say washing hands with cold water. Plus it avoids having to get new outlets installed, coordinate hot and cold water sources, etc. Simply unnecessary, though of course warm water IS nicer. I just fill the squeeze bottle up with warm water before I sit down to do my business. Note: it's better to go a little too cold than a little too hot! Don't ask how I know.

Agreed, you do not need to carry around the water, at least not for long. I'd think most folks sense the need somewhat in advance, so a little planning w/r/t water sources/use is all that's necessary.

While we are on the subject of TP and water and hygiene etc-Someone on WB once educated me on Wisi Wipes.They are very light weight,work like a champ,and available on Amazon.I use one in the morning at breakfast to clean my face and hands with HOT water at breakfast.I keep it handy until such time that nature calls and pack it out with the TP.

And, while we're on the subject of tp. I wonder how much tp, tipi would require if tipi requires tp. That's alot of nut butter!!

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    While we are on the subject of TP and water and hygiene etc-Someone on WB once educated me on Wisi Wipes.They are very light weight,work like a champ,and available on Amazon.I use one in the morning at breakfast to clean my face and hands with HOT water at breakfast.I keep it handy until such time that nature calls and pack it out with the TP.
    Neat, I hadn't come across those. From the image on amazon they look like a square netting mesh, more like a sieve than a cloth. Are they actually like this, or is that just the way the image came across?

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

couldn't you just use any sort of squirt bottle and not buy anything at all?

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    couldn't you just use any sort of squirt bottle and not buy anything at all?
    Ding,Ding,Ding, we have a winner solution ! Butt ( haha) of course all ya need is a squirt bottle and a stream and you are clean .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++