WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default White Mtn Shuttle?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...f4c4ecf5ee.jpg
    I have never used a shuttle in the White Mountains. Any suggestions? TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it fits your schedule or are coming into the area via bus from an airport the AMC shuttles loops cover much but not all of the whites. They are established routes, no custom rides and I think with Covid they requires reservations in advance. They are setup to support hut traffic and their timing may not align with yours.. The farthest west they go is Franconia Notch so Moosilaukee and the Kinsmans are a problem. They also stop at RT 16 on the east so you are SOL if you want to hike in the Maine side of the Whites.

The Notch Hostel in Woodstock runs shuttles for the Moosilaukee area south and Rattle River Hostel in Shelburne runs shuttles in the NE corner of the whites and to AT destinations. Both cater to AT folks and are very busy in the summer so they may not do custom trips. Trail Angels in Berlin have a good rep along with Shuttle Connection in Lincoln for custom shuttles. There are others but I do not know of a formal listing these days.

Uber and Lyft do not appear to be very active in the area. To legally shuttle requires expensive insurance and possibly a permit from the USFS (enforcement of that seems to be spotty). It also requires a lot of patience on the shuttler's part as for every easy shuttle there are numerous folks who make and cancel shuttles at the last minute and many folks overestimate their ability to complete a section and need an emergency (on their part) pickup. Cost varies but expect to pay the shuttler for mileage to and from their location. For an idea of cost Trail Angels https://www.trailangelshikerservices.com/ have price list. Note some shuttle firms charge a flat fee some may allow splitting the fee between parties.

The standard recommendation is to drop you car off at the end of the hike and get shuttled to the beginning of the hike. Do not leave valuables in the car. Do not over estimate your ability or plan for perfect weather for a multiday trip, it can be long walk or hitch if you end up at the end of FS road trying to get back to your car at the end of another FS road.

++ New Posts ++