WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Stratospire 2 Mesh Insert Pitched Under a Flat Tarp

I have been wanting to convert to a tarp full time for a few years now but haven't wanted to commit to no bug net/ bathtub floor. I have been thinking about trying to pitch my SS2 mesh under a flat tarp. Wondering if others have experience with this
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

have you looked at some of the net tents & bivys that Yama Mountain Gear makes? Gen has some interesting stuff.

I have looked a little bit there. I am pretty firmly against a front entry design, which makes tarp setups rare to find...

I'm working on a new tarp for the CDT. The design will be very similar to this tarp except I'll add mesh to it. http://www.campingjay.com/2015/02/my...acking-tarp-3/ I plan to attach 4"-6" wide mesh to the bottom of the three sides and a zippered bit of mesh to cover the front entrance. I want protection from mosquitoes. I might be able to get away without the mesh along the sides by adding a few more places to stake down the tarp to keep it in complete contact with the ground, but I'll figure that out when I get to that part. I'll have a length of Tyvek as ground cover to set up my bed on.

Currently I use a hammock but want to go more lightweight. This will drop about 2 lbs off my "sleep system weight."
    Flatfoot
    AT 2013, GA->ME
    PCT 2017, Mexico->Canada

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I have looked a little bit there. I am pretty firmly against a front entry design, which makes tarp setups rare to find...

https://yamamountaingear.com/collect...orm-dw-silpoly

I did a trial setup last night and pretty happy with the initial outcome. At lease happy enough to pursue further.
    The placement of the insert under the tarp needs to be squared up and tinkered with but the insert does fit under a 10ft long tarp.

IMG_4281.jpg

IMG_4279.jpg
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 08-02-2021 at 17:01.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I just ordered a Borah Gear bug bivy to pitch under my tarp https://borahgear.com/bugbivy.html
    I think it accomplishes the same thing as your setup, but leaves more room under the tarp. OTOH, it leaves a lot less bug-free living space if that's what you're looking for. It's 6 ounces, and should work great with the tarp I use with my hammock, or as bug-free space in a shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by xrayextra View Post
    I'm working on a new tarp for the CDT. The design will be very similar to this tarp except I'll add mesh to it. http://www.campingjay.com/2015/02/my...acking-tarp-3/ I plan to attach 4"-6" wide mesh to the bottom of the three sides and a zippered bit of mesh to cover the front entrance. I want protection from mosquitoes. I might be able to get away without the mesh along the sides by adding a few more places to stake down the tarp to keep it in complete contact with the ground, but I'll figure that out when I get to that part. I'll have a length of Tyvek as ground cover to set up my bed on.
    I made one similar to that a number of years ago; I started with the free plans on tarptent, but modified them for my own liking. Like you, I wanted bug protection, so I dropped mesh down the sides, back and front (with a coil zipper entrance). It included a floor but it wasn't a bathtub floor, just an extra piece of silnylon as a way to keep my bag off of the damp ground and join all of the mesh together. I also dropped the "beak" down farther into more of a vestibule. I used my trekking pole in the front, and an aluminum arrow shaft in the back. Total weight was 23 oz including the stakes.

The thing I liked the most about it was that it was roomy and had excellent ventilation, much better than any other tent I have owned. The downside was the two long walls just get smashed when a wind hits them, which is why I ended up going to a hexamid-type tent recently. The side's wind load could probably be reduced with a guy out somewhere in front of the middle of the tent, but I never experimented with it.

++ New Posts ++