WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Water in MD

Default Water in MD

Aiming to do the 4 State Challenge this weekend and wondering about water sources in MD. Specifically:

Is there water near either the Cowall Shelter or Pogo campsite? It looks like there is and close to the trail. I'd like to avoid adding additional climbing, if possible.

Is the spigot in Washington Monument Park on/uesable?

Is there a spigot in Gathland Park? If so, where? I recall seeing the big pavillion and the monument at the road crossing but not a water source.

Thank you!

Journal Entries
    Images

Pogo has a good spring on the west side of the trail ~300' down the Thurston Griggs side trail.
    There is a spring at Cowall between the road and the shelter - it's a scoooper. There is also a spring downhill on the access road by the privy (left side) ~100yards.
    The spigot at Gathland is next to the bathroom house - both are open. Word is that washington spigot is active.
    Quote Originally Posted by JJakes View Post
    Aiming to do the 4 State Challenge this weekend and wondering about water sources in MD. Specifically:

Is there water near either the Cowall Shelter or Pogo campsite? It looks like there is and close to the trail. I'd like to avoid adding additional climbing, if possible.

Is there a spigot in Gathland Park? If so, where? I recall seeing the big pavillion and the monument at the road crossing but not a water source.

Thank you!
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    Pogo has a good spring on the west side of the trail ~300' down the Thurston Griggs side trail.
    There is a spring at Cowall between the road and the shelter - it's a scoooper. There is also a spring downhill on the access road by the privy (left side) ~100yards.
    The spigot at Gathland is next to the bathroom house - both are open. Word is that washington spigot is active.
    Excellent. Thank you!!!

Default Did you find water?

I’m going to hike the MD section in August. Was there water at these locations? Did you log waypoints?

Quote Originally Posted by JJakes View Post

Thank you!

++ New Posts ++