I day hiked the Florida Trail by self shuttling using an electric bicycle. Park my car, e-bike along roads, hike the trail back to my car, find a motel for the evening. I did this over 5 years and completed the FT.

I am thinking of something similar for portions of the AT, especially in summer when I don't care to camp. Some sections of the AT will be more traditional backpacking trips (HMW, etc.), some sections I would like to do as day hikes. I have already day hiked the AT through the Shenandoah National Park using paid shuttles and have another section planned soon. This is fine except sometimes finding a shuttle is difficult. The terrain (hills) have me thinking even an electric bike would be quite a challenge. So I'm contemplating a scooter or small motorcycle. In particular, the Honda Metropolitan (49cc) or the Honda Super Cub (125cc). Max weight would be me and a day pack so less than 220 pounds. I am aware neither motorbike is suited for interstate travel. It's been years since I owned a motorcycle however I am still licensed. I have no experience with scooters beyond renting one on a Greek island years ago.

So my question requires knowledge of the AT, nearby roads and small motorcycles/scooters.

My question is, does this sound like a do-able plan for significant portions of the AT? Are the hills too much for either option? Are the distances greater than I anticipate? How much of the AT could be handled by a small scooter? Are there any places where they would be illegal?

I suspect either option would have handled the SNP but it might have been slow going, especially for the 49cc. But again, I have little experience with scooters.

Thank you.