WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Question about quilt insulation and materials

I have a Katabatic Palisade 30, and I wanted to set up a summer quilt and topper for cold weather, so, for that I went with an EE 10d 2oz climashield quilt.

The Katabatic quilt is down with a Pertex Quantum Y Fuse Eco Riptstop outer shell and Pertex Quantum Tafeta inner I tested both last night at 75dF, so simulate a warm summer night, and the Katabatic quilt was more comfortable but warmer.
    The EE climashield quilt was very clammy feeling to me, but the Katabatic, although a warmer rating, was not clammy at all.
    I also have a MYOG (materials from thruhiker) 5oz climashield m50 quilt that I find clammy.
    So my question is about the clamminess.
    Is that more due to the shell material or the insulation?
    I would prefer to have a synthetic 50df quilt for summer.
    I do have some 1.5oz Primaloft. Would that help instead of climashield?
    How about the fabric. Would 7d from EE be less clammy than the 10d?
    Would a pertex shell with a 2oz climashield breath-ability and clamminess be similar to the Katabatic down quilt?

I solve the clamminess problem by wearing super thin silk top/bottoms for all my backpacking trips---summer and winter. Most down sleeping bags/quilts have a very soft inner shell like pertex but even these can feel clammy against bare skin ergo the silk. Since wintersilks company went out of business I'm using Terramar silk from amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tipi has half the answer.
    Local relative humidity is the other half.
    At 75F I would be sleeping on top of the quilt. Or just a light sheet.
    Our house at 3,000’ in the Blue Ridge Mountains is kept at 75F and 50% humidity at night. I sleep under a 100% cotton bedsheet.
    YMMV.
    WAYNE

I'm sleeping the bigger part of all nights somewhere outdoors and after trying any number of setups I ended up wearing a long-sleeve lightweight Merino underwear plus a balaclava.
    Merino for me has the one advantage that it doesn't get stinky no matter how long I wear it. Its slippery similar to silk, and very soft and comfortable on the skin.
    The whole setup has its main purpose to not leave any skin unprotected (against moskitos) even when lying atop the bag, and it keeps the sleeping bag clean.

++ New Posts ++