WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Darn Tough

Images

I bought 2 pairs DT hiking socks for my recent AT section hike and they were great. The only downside is they take a long time to dry out if they get wet (I'm used to hiking in synthetic socks that dry very quickly). I had one stretch where both pairs got wet and I had to hike in wet socks for 2 days. The bottoms of my feet were completely wrinkled up like prunes by the end of the day, but no blisters!
    It's all good in the woods.

They make a special line for the military. It got bit more synthetic fiber. The dry quicker and last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    ...I have read some journals or heard on some videos that some people have hiked their socks to shreds...and then they send them back for replacement. That is definitely taking advantage of the guarantee, and I'm surprised Darn Tough puts up with it. These are the type of people who use & abuse REI's return policy, too. I just don't get it.
    I have had two pairs replaced with holes in places that don't get wear (top of foot, cuff). I sometimes buy replacements when they wear out. But I sometimes get free ones. In this case I'm not so sure it is considered an abuse. Read their warranty page:

https://darntough.com/pages/our-unco...time-guarantee

They explain what "Unconditionally Guaranteed For Life" means. They explicitly say it does include any wear from your feet. Why? One rationale they provide is that they use data from the returned worn out socks to improve their products. Also they say their unconditional guarantee ensures they maintain the standards we set. They specially say they replace socks worn out from heavy use ("Hike to the Moon, and we will cover that kind of wear"). But there are some things, they specifically exclude - lost socks and damage from something OTHER than wearing them on your feet (animals, fire, etc...). To me, this is different from returning gear worn out from heavy use and claiming it to be "defective".

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I have had two pairs replaced with holes in places that don't get wear (top of foot, cuff). I sometimes buy replacements when they wear out. But I sometimes get free ones. In this case I'm not so sure it is considered an abuse. Read their warranty page:

https://darntough.com/pages/our-unco...time-guarantee

They explain what "Unconditionally Guaranteed For Life" means. They explicitly say it does include any wear from your feet. Why? One rationale they provide is that they use data from the returned worn out socks to improve their products. Also they say their unconditional guarantee ensures they maintain the standards we set. They specially say they replace socks worn out from heavy use ("Hike to the Moon, and we will cover that kind of wear"). But there are some things, they specifically exclude - lost socks and damage from something OTHER than wearing them on your feet (animals, fire, etc...). To me, this is different from returning gear worn out from heavy use and claiming it to be "defective".
    top of foot gets wear from the top of your sneaker/shoe/boot laces
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by Fëanor View Post
    I bought these early last year https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They've been great so far , no need to overpay
    Pay now or pay later, and I'm not just talking about socks, but the consequences of sending our wealth abroad, particularly to one country. Where are they made? I prefer to pay more for Darn Tough since they are made in the USA.

I bought these early last year https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They've been great so far , no need to overpay
    Made in China, according the the questions/answers on Amazon. I'll stick with Darn Tough

They have a factory sale every fall at the factory in Norwich VT on the first Saturday and Sunday of VT deer hunting season. All the employees participate and seem to have good time. The owner normally is there from when it opens to when they close. I swear half of the residents of VT go there. They reportedly pay their workers well with good benefits. A lot of it is work that does not require a college degree. Jobs like those with reasonable pay and benefits is rare in the region.

I would be hard pressed to buy an offshore product of variable quality when I can buy DTs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bansko View Post
    Pay now or pay later, and I'm not just talking about socks, but the consequences of sending our wealth abroad, particularly to one country. Where are they made? I prefer to pay more for Darn Tough since they are made in the USA.
    A few days ago, the ABC Evening News profiled Darn Tough in their "Made in America" feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Bansko View Post

Made in China, according the the questions/answers on Amazon. I'll stick with Darn Tough
    Hahaha.. I dint know this was a mandatory condition Bansko!

These are good sucks!
    I'm all about saving a dollar, a ton of Hiking gear is moderately to extremely overpriced. Do I prefer these were made in the USA? damn right I do! but what you gonna do! ..but lets be sensible too.
    You don't have to spend bookoo bucks to go hiking, some here do and have the latest and greatest , if that makes you happy, so be it!

Hahaha.. I dint know this was a mandatory condition Bansko!

These are good sucks!
    I'm all about saving a dollar, a ton of Hiking gear is moderately to extremely overpriced. Do I prefer these were made in the USA? damn right I do! but what you gonna do! ..but lets be sensible too.
    You don't have to spend bookoo bucks to go hiking, some here do and have the latest and greatest , if that makes you happy, so be it!
    Mandatory? I don't think I ever went there. I prefer to keep Darn Tough going strong than to further fund China. My choice. You do yours.

Sock manufacturers make a lot of different models of socks to expand their choice and position in the marketplace, which makes it helpful to include the model or Mfgrs product number for comparative purposes.

I have not found DT to be all that comfortable being a bit rough for the bottom of my feet, though I have not tried all the possible models. I much prefer the fit and feel of Smartwool's Classic Hiking Sock (medium cushion) for shoulder weather hiking and their PhD sock for summer use. These socks last me through several seasons before they start to wear.

Chacun à son goût

"It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++