WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Darn Tough

Default Darn Tough

​Darn Tough socks are probably the most recommend socks among hikers. It's the only thing I wear (everyday, not just hiking). Sometimes I hear complaints about their fit. I have always said they need time to confirm to your foot to fit right. I now can document this. I just got a new pair of my favorites, micro crew cushion oatmeal. Compared to my old pair, you can see how much the old ones have been broken in. Note that I wear size 12 shoes which is at the upper end of the range to fit these size L socks, so I may stretch them out more than most.

IMG_20210806_124451277.jpg

I'll stick with my Smartwool Mountaineers for the cushioning inside my boots. Wool doesn't last long though.

Trip 188 (176)-XL.jpg

TRIP 170 259-XL.jpg
    One time I was coming down Brush Mt trail in Citico and got hooked on a blowdown. Oops.

TRIP 170 270-XL.jpg
    Field repaired later in camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    ​Darn Tough socks are probably the most recommend socks among hikers. It's the only thing I wear (everyday, not just hiking). Sometimes I hear complaints about their fit. I have always said they need time to confirm to your foot to fit right. I now can document this. I just got a new pair of my favorites, micro crew cushion oatmeal. Compared to my old pair, you can see how much the old ones have been broken in. Note that I wear size 12 shoes which is at the upper end of the range to fit these size L socks, so I may stretch them out more than most.
    I've had mixed experience in terms of DT sock sizing. The ones I sent off to Insect Shield came back quite shrunken. Granted, part of their permethrin application process is drying on high, and this is (largely) wool we're talking about. They can still stretch out, but no way to fit a sock liner under them anymore. Some of my non-IS-treated ones have done the same. [I mostly have the tan "AT" design]. They are nearly all snug and short.
    One outlier pair (DT), the "collar" of the sock, the part furthest from the toes, got really loose and baggy. I guess the elastic just failed there. The main part (foot) of the sock was fine though. No shrinking. And by and large, I've found DT to live up to its name (vs. SW) on this part of that pair.

Overall, I do prefer DT, but I might buy up a size next time. I do have SW and even some Costco ones, and they're all fine. DT are less cushy for sure, but they do seem a notch 'tougher".

Darn Tough is very generous with replacing worn out or defective socks that is one of the reasons they sell at a premium.

I wear size 11.5 and DT Large fits good for me, though they do conform to my feat a bit more after using them. I think a nice fit like that is important where loose socks become a problem. I have that same pair of Smart Wool socks and they are nice and warm but not as good a fit and I had to send mine back after a few uses defective with the wool coming out the outside, replacement pair has been better but no way I'm wearing those socks year round like DT. I have a couple other hiking pairs of Smart Wool that just don't seem to fit as good. I also have at least 5 pairs of DT ready to send out for the lifetime warranty when I get to it.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

As a 12.5 - 13 wide I always felt they were tight…. I “discovered” the XL and have been happy ever since…. I wish they had an exchange program.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Journal Entries
    Images

I took advantage of warrantees this spring.

DarnTough required socks to be returned to them.

Smartwool just asked for a photo.

Neither wanted a receipt.

I buy all socks that fit right from the package. I prefer socks that maintain their shape. I don't appreciate any sock that bunches up or the ankle hem stretches out that they sag down into my shoe. Look at your photos. That's what I see. I want socks that maintain their original shape because that's how and why I bought them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I buy all socks that fit right from the package. I prefer socks that maintain their shape. I don't appreciate any sock that bunches up or the ankle hem stretches out that they sag down into my shoe. Look at your photos. That's what I see. I want socks that maintain their original shape because that's how and why I bought them.
    I can assure you these don't sag into my shoe or bunch up. If you look at the, you will see a sock that is exactly the same shape as my foot.

Have you done side by side tests using your model going up to xl? That may be preferable than assuming you need to stretch out socks when you are on the cusp of needing a larger sock size or a supposed breaking in period.

I wear size 13 EEEE. I have tried the XL Darn Tuffs but find them too long. The larges fit better for me.

I buy seconds at the annual factory sale in Northfield VT and have done so for about 10 years. They are a primary supplier to the military for US manufactured socks. The military versions typically use a slightly different blend and last a bit longer but its pretty rare any of the them wear out. I have not found anything to match their military winter socks.

I also wear size 13 Merrills and wear the LG socks and not the XL.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

When I started hiking in 2014, the L dt socks were smaller than the pair I bought last year.
    I actually put my new ones in the dryer to try to shrink them a bit. Now they are perfect.

Journal Entries
    Images

I went to the Darn Tough rep at Trail Days. I showed him the dirty, wet socks with a hole on my feet. He didn’t have the same size/color/style on hand but mailed a pair to my house. He didn’t ask for the dirty, wet, holey pair.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

I wear Darn tough socks everyday. I Have one pair with a small hole. I have had them so long and worn so much I probably won’t send back. Smart wool don’t seem to last a early as long for me.

I wear darn tough every day, have probably 8 pair that I rotate, never an issue. Great value.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    I wear darn tough every day, have probably 8 pair that I rotate, never an issue. Great value.
    Same here. All, and I mean all, of my socks are black light hikers that I wear every day, hiking or simply having a normal day. Each morning I grab two from the sock drawer and off I go. DT socks are one of Life's perfect joys.

I've been wearing DT socks almost every day for years. They do eventually wear out, but it takes a while. I returned a few pairs five years ago when they wore out and DT promptly replaced them. I won't do that again since I consider it taking advantage of a generous return policy. Once was enough. I wear 10 1/2 shoes and the large size fits perfectly. They are very snug when trying to put them on after they've been in a dryer though.

About dryers: I'm convinced that much of the wear can be traced to tumble dryers. I'm too lazy to hang dry them when at home, so that's on me.

They are great socks and they last a long time. I think their secret is density. They aren't as soft and initially comfortable as many competitors, but they are rock solid on the trail and still comfortable after being walked in all day.

I'm still amazed at how I never had cold feet on sub-freezing mornings, even though I wore trail runners.

The DT's I bought in 2012 are still the same socks I hike in today. I do like the fit & feel, although I understand that others prefer other brands. Courses for horses, as my mom would say. I do prefer a pair of nice thick SmarWools for sleeping in, though.

My socks have thinned a little too, mostly at the heel, but agree that that is on me -- I put my socks in the dryer. (I religiously avoid the dryer with my other wool items...Icebreaker tops & bottoms, Ibex t-shirts, etc.)

I did return one pair of DTs shortly after I bought them -- a small snag hole had appeared on the cuff. I told them that it might have been caused by one of my cats, I didn't know, and would understand if the guarantee didn't apply...but they replaced it without asking.

I have read some journals or heard on some videos that some people have hiked their socks to shreds...and then they send them back for replacement. That is definitely taking advantage of the guarantee, and I'm surprised Darn Tough puts up with it. These are the type of people who use & abuse REI's return policy, too. I just don't get it.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

I bought these early last year https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They've been great so far , no need to overpay

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++