WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Trailhead Crime in the Smokies

Just left my vehicle parked at Big Creek trailhead in GSMNP for two nights. Returned to find that the catalytic converter had been cut off my vehicle. When I called the Ranger Dispatcher, they said that I was the third victim to call that day.

If you are not familiar with this type of crime, the catalytic converter is part of the exhaust system of your vehicle. I contains some metals that make it very valuable to scrap metal dealers. If you start your car and it suddenly sounds like the loudest Harley Davidson motorcycle you've ever heard, then someone took your catalytic converter. Crooks simply crawl under your car with a saw, and cut it out of the exhaust line.

Journal Entries

It shouldn't be hard to catch such thieves. The scene of the crime is known. Seems like a trail cam would give info that would enable some targeted surveillance, then catch them in the act.

Sorry that you were the victim. We've been lucky so far, but I suspect our day is coming.

I stumbled across the topic of catalytic converter theft recently as I was contemplating a new vehicle. There are deterrents, usually just a piece of metal that makes getting to the cc more difficult. These are usually vehicle specific although I suppose a machine shop (or old school mechanic) could fabricate something. A generic deterrent is the CatClamp Catalytic Converter sold at NAPA auto parts. All options are deterrent only and can be thwarted by a determined thief.
    (I have no affiliation with any products).

As I understand it, high clearance vehicles are popular targets due to ease of access.

My thought is to park my low clearance car over a mud puddle to be less desirable target.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    It shouldn't be hard to catch such thieves. The scene of the crime is known. Seems like a trail cam would give info that would enable some targeted surveillance, then catch them in the act.
    Sadly you would be on your own with that, law enforcement isn't going to set up a camera for random car parts thefts at random locations, and the thieves know this; about all that will happen is they will take a report. I had my car broken into a number of years ago (smash and grab, they got a $13 flashlight), and while I had high hopes of a LEO stakeout to catch the thieves, all I got was to make a report of it.

The State Troopers caught 2 guys at a popular trailhead down the street from me last weekend. These guys weren't very smart, 7AM at a parking lot off the highway, with a volunteer FS ranger stationed there.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I have used this trailhead for many years without any problems. Partially, because there is an NPS Ranger residence right next to the parking lot. Unfortunately, the house is clearly not used anymore (cutbacks I suppose) and looks abandoned. The Park could clean it up, put on a few lights in it, and even park a random vehicle there, to give it a lived-in look. That would take care of problems at Big Creek.

Sad. I used to use this parking lot fairly often. Guess I won’t anymore. Sorry your got hit.

One thing that may make it less tempting is to engrave the VIN number on the converter. These pass through multiple hands and a VIN is tell tale that its stolen. The problem is a lot of these crimes are by folks without a lot of brains and may not realize that A VIN makes it basically worthless.

Regarding vehicles and backpacking---I do all in my power to arrange shuttles so I won't have car sitting at a trailhead. And/or get a rat beater car built before the converter era. Or use an all-electric vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Regarding vehicles and backpacking---I do all in my power to arrange shuttles so I won't have car sitting at a trailhead. And/or get a rat beater car built before the converter era. Or use an all-electric vehicle.
    Any car without a catalytic is going to be a very, very old car, like 30+ years old. I learned today that older cars are a preferred hit, as they use more platinum then the newer ones. Jap cars are also preferred, as are high clearance trucks or jeeps just because they are easy to get under.

The people who these thief's sell to know they are stolen, so engraving a VIN number on them is pointless and can be easily ground off.

The burned up car - maybe they wanted to collect the insurance. I went for a hike and when I came back the car was toast...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The people who these thief's sell to know they are stolen, so engraving a VIN number on them is pointless and can be easily ground off.
    I used to browse the facebook marketplace, and noticed an ad for someone buying old cats. Knowing they were likely buying stolen goods I reported the ad, only to find that now I was innundated with dozens of ads for people buying used cats. Given the proliferation of cat thieves it would be really neat if law enforcement were to run a sting to bust the buyers of the cats for possession of stolen property, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The burned up car - maybe they wanted to collect the insurance. I went for a hike and when I came back the car was toast...
    Could also be totally unintentional. After all, you have seen plenty of cars on the sides of a road in flames in posts on various sites - seems feasible that one could start even 5 minutes after being parked if there was an unknown issue with it (by which time the hiker could easily be far enough away and not even looking in the direction of the vehicle) to know nothing until they return.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycat View Post
    Sadly you would be on your own with that, law enforcement isn't going to set up a camera for random car parts thefts at random locations, and the thieves know this; about all that will happen is they will take a report. I had my car broken into a number of years ago (smash and grab, they got a $13 flashlight), and while I had high hopes of a LEO stakeout to catch the thieves, all I got was to make a report of it.
    In this case, the location isn't random.
    This is NOT the 1st time that I've heard about issues at this exact parking lot specifically for CC thieves.
    Most trailhead in GSMNP are relatively safe with only a few issues from time to time. In the 20+ years I've been visiting the park, the only trailheads that there have ever been warnings about include Maddron Bald trailhead (but years ago, a guy at a near by auto-shop was arrested and I haven't heard anything about that spot since) and Davenport Gap (but again, while I've heard warning about that trailhead, I've never heard from anyone who specifically had their cars broken into).
    But this year, this parking lot the OP is referring to has become a relative hot-bed for CC theft.

Easy Strider, section hiker hiker33's Avatar
    Images

Is this the Big Creek lot at the picnic area/campground or the one near the former ranger station?
    ===================
    Easy Strider
    Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    In this case, the location isn't random.
    This is NOT the 1st time that I've heard about issues at this exact parking lot specifically for CC thieves.
    Most trailhead in GSMNP are relatively safe with only a few issues from time to time. In the 20+ years I've been visiting the park, the only trailheads that there have ever been warnings about include Maddron Bald trailhead (but years ago, a guy at a near by auto-shop was arrested and I haven't heard anything about that spot since) and Davenport Gap (but again, while I've heard warning about that trailhead, I've never heard from anyone who specifically had their cars broken into).
    But this year, this parking lot the OP is referring to has become a relative hot-bed for CC theft.
    I guess it would depend upon how often the thefts are occurring. At the spot where I had my smash 'n grab (a trailhead just outside of a city), there would be broken glass a few times a month. When I reported my theft, the officer who took the report said that it was a known area for thefts, hence all of the "take your valuables with you" signs we see at various parking locations.

Maybe being a national park the park police might be more proactive when it comes to defending their territory, especially if this is happening with enough frequency at one specific location, one can hope anyway.

Game camera.......

Sadly, vehicles parked at trailheads have always been and will continue to be easy targets. In 1973 my girlfriend (now wife) and I were parked at the Alum Cave trailhead heading up to LeConte. When we came back my VW was sitting on the ground with all 4 wheels & new tires gone. The SOBs didn't even bother to put it up on blocks. Even if they did catch the thieves, nothing would be done to them.....after all, they needed the parts.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

Default Harbor Freight's fault

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    Sadly, vehicles parked at trailheads have always been and will continue to be easy targets. In 1973 my girlfriend (now wife) and I were parked at the Alum Cave trailhead heading up to LeConte. When we came back my VW was sitting on the ground with all 4 wheels & new tires gone. The SOBs didn't even bother to put it up on blocks. Even if they did catch the thieves, nothing would be done to them.....after all, they needed the parts.
    Harbor Freight sells an incredibly cheap battery-powered reciprocating saw for under a hundred bucks, even comes with a metal cutting blade. Outlawing this elcheapo product should stop most Catylitic Converter thefts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++