WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I completed the AT last year section hiking yearly since 2014. The Shenandoah NP was the easiest part but also one of the nicest (I saw approx 100 deer). I am heading back there for the first two wks in Sept starting at Rockfish Gap as I miss hiking the AT. The only problem I encountered, which I hope does not happen this year, is that the small store at Big Meadows was closed (on a Sunday) and there was nowhere to send a food box or buy food. I would recommend you purchase the Guthook app for Northern Virginia AT--it will only cost you approx. $9 and probably answer every question you have on campsites, trails, towns, where water is, etc. Good luck. -Del

Quote Originally Posted by misterblitz View Post
    I respectfully disagree. I've hike about 450 miles of the AT, and I've only stayed at a shelter about 5-6 times. One of the things I enjoy most about section hiking it the ability to get away from people and camp by myself. The AT is literally full of places to camp, even in the SNP.
    I agree. In some cases great camping is available just off the AT. The park publishes some very useful information.

https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvis...ntry-trips.htm

I'm 63. I did the northern half twice in the past year, once with my son and the other time with my daughter. IMO seeing othe3r hikers is one of the fun things about the trail. Anyway, I would focus on the northern half of the park as it is a little easier and a bit less rocky IMO. I suggest you both get the Guthooks maps for the AT, northern va. section. As to your specific questions, I would start at about Lewis Mountain and walk to Thornton Gap. I would call Alison at Open Arms Hostel in Luray and ask about a shuttle from Thornton Gap south to Lewis Mountain, or wherever you wanted to start and then walk north. I've stayed there, just overnight and also slackpacking and have hired her for shuttles several times, she has been 100% reliable. My recollection is that there is a large parking area at Thornton Gap. Eating a meal (or staying overnight) at Big Meadows or Skyland or taking a shower at the Big Meadows campground, things like that always seemed like a good idea to me, YMMV. As to the weather, last year we went the last week of October and it rained almost the whole week we were out. Highes in the 50's. It was a great hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreak View Post
    I have to agree with Slo-go-en on this. IMHO, in Shenandoah, as opposed to the southern AT, easily found established legal tent campsites away from the shelters are fewer and require more effort to find. The 1/4 mile rule is the killer. If you want solitude, I agree they are the way to go.

Campsites must be at least:

• 10 yards away from a stream or other natural water source.
    • 20 yards away from any park trail or unpaved fire road.
    • 50 yards away from another camping party or no camping post sign.
    • 50 yards away from any standing buildings and ruins including stone foundations, chimneys, and log walls.
    • 100 yards away from a hut, cabin, or day-use shelter.
    • 1/4-mile away from any paved road, park boundary, or park facility (i.e. campgrounds, picnic grounds, visitor centers, lodges, waysides, or restaurants).

Make sure you check out a waterfall or two. An early morning or evening hike may also yield a bear sighting.
    Saw 7 bears in 24 hours in SNP.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

I think that October is the best month to hike in Shenandoah... I've hiked there in November too, but got hit by horrible rain storms that turned to snow. Maybe go south from Panorama... many choices for shelters or camping. Say hi to Byrd's Nest No. 3, my fav shelter.. So classic...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++