WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Completed my 16 year quest

Last Friday I finished my section hike of the entire AT at the top of Mt. Katahdin. My hike started in 2005 when I took my then-15 year old son and three of his friends to the Shenandoah National Park to hike a 74 mile section. I hiked at least one section every year except 2008 (due to my employment situation) and 2020 (thanks to COVID), with the biggest years being 2017 with 357 miles (4 trips) and 2021 (the 298 miles from Route 2 to Katahdin). All told I made 25 trips to the trail and hiked a total of 166 days. The shortest section was an orphaned 33 miles from Devil Fork Gap to Uncle Johnny's, and the longest was the 298 miles I just completed. About 70% of the miles were completed northbound, 30% southbound. I did not hike the trail in geographic order but instead bounced around to different sections, although I did largely complete the portion south of the Mason-Dixon Line before heading into the northern states. On my hike I slept in shelters/lean-tos, my tent, under my tarp, hostels, AMC huts, motel rooms, and an RV. Over the years my hiking companions have included my two sons, a son-in-law, a brother, my wife, and several friends of either my sons or my own. I hiked about 26% of the miles by myself.

This has been a great experience that I will treasure for the rest of my life. Whiteblaze and the posters to its forums have been tremendously helpful, particularly Slow Goin' and Peakbagger when it came to NH and Maine. Thanks to all who, over the years, have shared their thoughts, knowledge, and opinions on various aspects of the trail. I have not posted a lot, but I have learned a lot, and what you taught me has helped me accomplish what I set out to do in 2005.

A timely inspiring account of an AT journey - a completion no less, an aged fine red wine, as a dedicated, adaptable, resilient hiker having so many memorable worthy experiences.

Congrats.

I would like to say a big Congratulations for this achievement! Additionally you must have racked up quite a few driving miles.
    Did you fly in/out any? Just curious.

Journal Entries

sore ankle,
    A big CONGRATULATIONS to you! We finished our ten-mile hiking project just about 9 months ago, and I still feel the glow of that accomplishment! It's a wonderful feeling, and it's neat that you got to share it with so many others. Just curious, did you complete the trail alone, or did some of those previous companions join you at Katahdin?

May I be the first to congratulate you. Sticking with it for 17 years shows lots of planning of transportation, equipment and staying in shape.

My experience is a bit like yours. First stepped on the A T in '65 (honeymoon) and got up a couple miles at Katahdin Stream, summitted in '77, (my young kids got to the tree line but couldn't reach the hand holds.) In 2011, I summitted again with my very adult kids. They paid for the trip as my Christmas present. Wasn't that thoughtful? We started section hiking five years ago, like you, beginning in SNP. It has evolved from backpacking to mostly day hikes, a bit easier at my age. I expect to reach 500 miles next summer and one son has about 600+ miles. He plans to complete the trail thusly. His companions have been family, college buddies and some solo.

i can't wait until one son retires so we an hike in the fall. Maybe I can last long enough to reach one half of the AT?

The fourth to congratulate you.

Congrats on completing your journey.

Congratulations Sore Ankle on your impressive achievement.

Congrats on your hike completion hopefully you had a great summit day and a bit of time to spend at BSP?

I plan to be up there in a month

Congrats!!!!!
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

That’s wonderful write up and accomplishments.

Congratulations! Section hiking the whole trail takes dedication, discipline, and pbysical stamina that many people underestimate or don't understand. Respect!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Congratulations 🎊

I’ve just begun my section hike. About a hundred miles in.

Congratulations on your accomplishment!

A big congrats!! Much respect and enjoyed and appreciate your way of writing about your section hikes of the trail .
    Any trails on your radar now ?

Images

Congratulations! Always great to hear about someone completing such a long and epic journey over many years.
    It's all good in the woods.

Images

Well done! Heck you flew through the trail compared to me (I took 20 years)!

In my view, section hiking the entire AT over time is a more difficult feat than a thru hike, especially living in the middle of the country and every section requires a serious travel commitment. Good job!

Is it raining yet?
    Images

You were lucky to have some travel companions along the way.
    Be Prepared

Images

dblthumb2.gif Congratulations on a journey well done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++