WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

LarWat
    Journal Entries

Default Folliculitis on the tuchus

I'm thru hiking tge AT and I'm having a major case of folliculitis on my butt. This is something that's not uncommon for me in the hot months, but usually I'm home and have methods to keep clean and treat it. I'm wearing breathable underwear and shower every few days currently but the flare up is extreme. Any thoughts on how to deal?
    *This was originally posted in the women's forum but I was told to put it on here*

Images

So, given your history with this most unpleasant affliction, do you know if yours is typically bacterial or fungal? Either way, you already know that moisture and friction is the enemy allowing the infection to propagate and the irritation to get worse. Possible over-the-counter treatments: A lot of hikers swear by a product known as Anti-Monkey Butt powder which is mostly cornstarch baby powder with some kaolin and calamine. It will absorb moisture and decrease friction, but it doesn't medically treat the infection. If it's fungal, a tolnaftate spray powder (athletes foot spray) applied several times a day might help. If bacterial, Bacitracin or Neosporin ointment might help. But if it's really bad and doesn't respond, you're probably going to need to see a doctor. They're likely going to prescribe something stronger like an oral anti-biotic such as cephalexin if it's bacterial and probably tell you what you don't want to hear - like discontinuing hiking for a bit until it clears up.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 08-11-2021 at 21:27.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Air yourself out. As soon as you finish hiking for the day get out of your sweaty pants and undies. Wipe area clean with a baby wipe. Ideally wear a kilt in camp to allow plenty of air flow. Helps keep monkey butt at bay.

There is a Mens/Womens version here although my guess is it is mostly about hem length so more appropriately should be Short/Tall version.
    https://sportkilt.com/product-catego...s/hiking-kilt/

Comments based on my experience with riding a 100 miles on a bicycle in tight shorts on a tiny seat multiple days in a row.

Time to go see a doctor.They will likely scrape the area and do a culture on it and treat it from there based on the lab report.I took an antifungal pill when I had similar issues and that was the only thing that would really stop it.

Other things I did included probiotics,sugar avoidance in the diet,washing with as cold water as possible,using tea tree oil soaps.Denorex anti dandruff shampoo also helped my particular case.You might change your laundry detergent if it has fragrances in it or at least try a different brand that is as plain a detergent as you can get.If you have not tried cotton undergarments at home you might have a good result with them.

Key words here "I shower every few days. . ." Bacterial build up for several days??? Seriously??? No wonder you have a problem!! Sweat, salt, dirt, sweat, salt, oil from your body, salt, sweat. . . several days. You don't have to actually shower to get clean, but good water is available on the trail, and a small bar of soap with a washrag (or bandana) and a wash off daily could go a long way toward curing that problem. Additionally, if you need something else, the powders for baby diaper rash, the Monkey Butt ointment, a tube of zinc oxide (again, used for diaper rash), or any good "drying agent" bought at the drug store should help keep the problem from forming in the first place, or by getting worse. But the key is WASHING away the sweat, oil, salt, dirt. (from a mother with a baby who had diaper rash occasionally, and a nurse who cared for patients with the same in a nursing home from various causes)

Images

After spending most of my working years outside,almost 40 years, I have little desire to hike in the heat even though its a bit cooler at higher elevations. I'd rather risk freezing my a** off than being sweaty all day. Somehow I now sweat from the palms of my hands which,in the past, led to a malady of painful cracking and open fissures. Good luck with finding help.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

hike naked?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Here is a Mayo Clinic article including types, causes, and treatments.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20361634

LarWat
    Journal Entries

How do I tell if it's bacterial or fungal

Quote Originally Posted by sam1000000 View Post
    How do I tell if it's bacterial or fungal
    See a doctor.

Taste test??

++ New Posts ++