WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default JIF squeeze peanut butter

Was in my local Walmart today and saw JIF Peanut butter in a squeeze pouch. It was 13 ounces and cost $3.67.

Quote Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post
    Was in my local Walmart today and saw JIF Peanut butter in a squeeze pouch. It was 13 ounces and cost $3.67.

Thus as it has always been with travel sizes. I have a 2 oz can of Barbasol shave cream that cost about 3/4 of what the 10 oz goes for. To some unknown extent this reflects the cost of packaging more than the cost of the raw product inside. Maybe not so true of your peanut butter; the surplus unit price may reflect more their expectation of what they can get as a convenience premium. Most hikers (and people in similar situations, packing wise) aren't putting that 48 ouncer in their pack.

Also why at a soft drink fountain (movies, convenience stores), the larger sizes cost just pennies more. Your paying for the cup, lid and straw and the cost of the employee. The product is carbonated water and some flavoring. Costs a few pennies for the product.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post
    I almost bought one of these for a trip this summer. I did run across 2-3 hikers that were using this exact Jif squeeze for their PB needs.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

You can refill a toothpaste tube (after washing it out), and if you save your empties the cost would be nothing (for the tube). The only issue I can think of would be whether or not the tubes contain BPA, but that's a separate discussion.

All kinds including Skippy in tubes on Amazon.

I eat a lot of peanut butter when I'm hiking, and after trying various brands of packets & cups, I just decided to bring the dang jar. Much easier to deal with, and far less waste. I haven't done a weight comparison, but one small 1lb plastic jar probably doesn't weigh much more than all those packets.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycat View Post
    You can refill a toothpaste tube (after washing it out), and if you save your empties the cost would be nothing (for the tube).
    How? This sounds like a technique that contradicts the old aphorism that you can't put the (toothpaste) back in the tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    How? This sounds like a technique that contradicts the old aphorism that you can't put the (toothpaste) back in the tube.
    The trick is to use another tube to force it back into the opening. With toothpaste, you can do this just by butting the two "nozzles" up against each other by hand; this is how I refill my travel tube from a large tube of Sensodyne (saving money on travel size containers as well as giving me control over the amount in the tube for shorter trips).

For something more viscous like toothpaste, you drill out two caps and tape them together. For the donor tube, you also cut the "bottom" (flat end) of the tube open so that you can insert your peanut butter, then slowly roll the tube down until the desired amount is transferred. You could also probably use one of those "squeeze gun" contraptions (like a caulking gun but for food), which would be easier than using a donor tube, but when I did this I didn't get that fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    You can buy squeeze tubes, and fill with peanut butter. You fill from the bottom, then fold it over and slide a clip on. For a trip that you don’t need 48 ounces, you could fill a couple of these from you 48oz jar at home. I’ve never used them, so I don’t know if the bottom would leak, but I would think it would be OK for something like peanut butter.

https://www.rei.com/product/696007/coghlans-squeeze-tubes-package-of-2

You can also carry a one pound plastic jar of pnut butter that is full or partially full depending on your length of travel.I like Jiff with honey or Nutella on a tortilla and roll it up.Next time out I plan to have a few Uncrustables just for kicks.

Leonidas

I sued to carry the PB&Co. White Chocolate Peanut Butter in the 16oz jar. I used an old jar for a cold soak container so I have the weight of an "average" 16oz jar container only as 31 grams.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    I sued to carry the PB&Co. White Chocolate Peanut Butter in the 16oz jar. I used an old jar for a cold soak container so I have the weight of an "average" 16oz jar container only as 31 grams.
    sued = used
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    sued = used
    And here I was having fun imagining a scenario in which you had Jackie Chiles representing you in front of the Supreme Court to right the great peanut butter injustice.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    You can buy squeeze tubes, and fill with peanut butter. You fill from the bottom, then fold it over and slide a clip on. For a trip that you don’t need 48 ounces, you could fill a couple of these from you 48oz jar at home. I’ve never used them, so I don’t know if the bottom would leak, but I would think it would be OK for something like peanut butter. https://www.rei.com/product/696007/coghlans-squeeze-tubes-package-of-2
    These have been available for decades. I used them in the '70s. Got them from Gerry Mountain, then they were known as Gerry Tubes. The Coghlan's tubes are identical. I have seen them at WalMart. Easy to fill & clean. Just make sure the clip stays on. You might want to use a small piece of duct tape over the clip to make sure, otherwise, it could get messy!

Squeeze tubes.jpg
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 08-27-2021 at 14:18.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

In Sweden, food in tubes is ubiquitous. Every store has a display of tube food including such things as, mustard, mayo, remoulade, a whole line of vegetable pastes, lots of different flavored cheeses (shrimp, bacon, lobster, mushroom, ham, chorizo, reindeer, etc...), herring flavored tomato paste, liver paté, anchovy cream, horseradish, aioli, and the most famous - Kalles which is a paste made of cod roe, sugar, and potato flakes that comes in a wide variety of flavors, such as banana and dill. You squeeze a shot onto some Knäckebröd (a crisp,dry, flat, rye bread) and you have a Scandinavia backpacking treat. If you have an IKEA in town you can probably find some of it. The Knäckebröd may be available in your home store. It's great for backpackers as it is pretty much indestructible. If all this sounds too weird, just remember that Sweden a long been at the forefront of back country cuisine. After all, Svea, Optimus, Trangia, and Primus are all Swedish companies.

https://www.ateriet.com/food-in-tube...-package-food/

I did some trail magic in GA in May, and included these in my "kit". At Gooch Gap and Unicoi Gap I set up "make your own PB&J" stations. They were a huge hit, and the squeeze container helped keep things clean (as sanitary as possible). I tried it again last month in Connecticut, but this time added squeeze jam....strawberry was the hands down (and hands free) favorite.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycat View Post
    You can refill a toothpaste tube (after washing it out), and if you save your empties the cost would be nothing (for the tube). The only issue I can think of would be whether or not the tubes contain BPA, but that's a separate discussion.
    The "cost" is in the time (effort, and cleanup).

If you have a sealer ('Food Saver' or Impulse Sealer) you can make your own PB squeeze tubes from freezer bags.
    However, due to imperfections in the "manufacturer process", I double bag such things.
    I've never done this with PB, but I have done it with Olive Oil.

++ New Posts ++