WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Campgrounds in Grand Canyon

Hello,

a short question relating to the two campgrounds inside the Grand Canyon NP

If we have the possibility to choose between the Bright Angel CG and the Cottenwood CG, which of them should we prefer?

How much does the permission cost for camping?

Thanks

Images

I highly recommend the Desert View CG on the eastern side of the park. It is tent only and much quieter than Bright Angel CG. Cost was $20/night back in 2011.

Garlic
    Images

I'd prefer Cottonwood, but the permit office has never given it to me. There's been room there, but they think it's too far from the South Rim for one day, and it probably is for most of the people who come to hike the canyon. (Arguing with them doesn't help, but you can try.) Bright Angel is fine, though rather large and crowded, and it will probably feel like a very short day. But it's an incredible place to spend some down time.

Another option, if you're feeling strong for a long day, is to not camp in the canyon, and "stealth camp" in the North Rim area (closed until June). You'll have to carry water up from Roaring Springs or melt snow at the rim. A friend of mine did that and was able to find a working outdoor faucet at a building up there, but I don't have any details on that. He was familiar with the area.

The costs will be the same as in Saguaro National Park, though the bureaucracy will be much larger, and the crowds infinitely so. You may want to consider a season pass for the national parks, especially if you're able to extend your visit and travel into southern Utah.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

The Grand Canyon has recently changed its backcountry permit process, so be sure to get the most up to date info. You no longer request specific campgrounds with the permit application. You now just apply for the lottery to get a time and date when you can go to the on line system to get a permit selecting from the sites available. The earlier your lottery time, the more choices you will have. If you don't get a lottery time, you can register after al the lottery winners to get any spots that may be left. If you were not in the lottery, you can try after the lottery losers with the general public. If you hurry, you can still register for the lottery to get permits for hikes starting next April. If you miss that you can try for a May permit next month.

As for CC vs BAC, where and when are you starting? Getting to CC in one day from the South Rim is a long punishing hike, especially if done after April when you could be hiking through The Box in the summer heat. If hiking from the North rim, be sure it is open for your hike dates (closed late fall to late spring). I have not been to CC. I have been to BAC. It is nice to be close to the river and Phantom Ranch where you can eat meals, if reserved in advance.

However be advised that GCNP is in the midst of a multi year project to replace the Trans canyon pipeline. During construction, various trails will be closed at various times. Be sure to coordinate hiking plans with construction schedules.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    The Grand Canyon has recently changed its backcountry permit process, so be sure to get the most up to date info...
    Do they still do walk-ins? I hope so. It's been a couple of years since I've been there, but I've always used the walk-in process. They used to reserve a good number of campsites for walk-ins, a bonus for the AZT thru-hiker.

You're right about the long hike to Cottonwood, but the OP is planning an AZT NOBO thru-hike next April and they'll be in condition to do that hike by then, maybe even hike the Canyon in one day. But it's hard to convince the people who have to rescue many hikers every year that you can do that. They give strong thru-hikers what feels like ridiculously short days!

Yes, last minute permits are still allocated with the same procedure. But on the backcountry permit page it says:

"During the trans-canyon waterline replacement project, taking place in 2023 and 2024, availability of last minute permits may be extremely limited at times, especially for Bright Angel Campground."

Also at the bottom of the page, it points out that an Rim to Rim hike in April will require a backcountry permit for camping in the park on the North Rim.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvis...try-permit.htm

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Yes, last minute permits are still allocated with the same procedure. But on the backcountry permit page it says:
    "During the trans-canyon waterline replacement project, taking place in 2023 and 2024, availability of last minute permits may be extremely limited at times, especially for Bright Angel Campground."
    Also at the bottom of the page, it points out that an Rim to Rim hike in April will require a backcountry permit for camping in the park on the North Rim.
    https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvis...try-permit.htm
    Great information--thanks.

I wonder if the backcountry office will give a permit for the North Rim in April without a stay at Bright Angel. I'll call ahead if those plans ever materialize again. I've often backpacked Rim to Rim to Rim hikes with two nights at Bright Angel, and would like to try it with one night at the North Rim. Just to make it harder, you know. (I met an older trail runner who ran it in 14 hours when he was my age!)

They've been repairing that pipe for a long time. Replacement will be a real mess. As a retired engineer, I think about the pressure in that pipe at the river and get nervous when I walk on top of it.

When I got my 5 day Hermit Loop permit (using the old system) I got what they call the "You're going to die" email, which basically says we are issuing you a permit that could get you in your trouble if you don't know what you are doing and this is your warning. The day before my hike I stopped at the Backcountry Office for a trail update and asked about the letter. I was told by the Ranger that there are certain parameters that trigger the warning. They know full well that there are experienced hikers for whom the itinerary is not a problem, but they have no way of knowing the qualifications of who is getting the permit. I'm pretty sure he said they don't decline permits based on being too ambitious.

I'm not sure how the new system handles this since the park no longer issues permit itineraries. Hikers select an itinerary from available sites. It is possible the computer is programmed to only allow permits deemed "reasonable", but it may just leave that up to the user to decide with the auto generated warning notice. This would be a good question for a GC hiking group on line. I follow some on Facebook but don't recall seeing this discussed. The system has only been used for a few months. There is a Rim to Rim group I don't follow. That would be a good place to ask.

The new system also only includes a subset of use areas to choose from. If off-season north rim area are not on line, then you would have to get a permit by calling the backcountry office. This is how remote use area permits are now issued. I would just call the backcountry office and ask. Then report here.

++ New Posts ++