WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default I want to plan a long hike, but very intimidated and confused logistically.

I have done several 2 night and 3 night hikes. I really want to do something longer. Maybe the LT? I am scared to take the leap into a 3 week bp trip!

Is it one of those “your never ready, just do it” type things or should I start smaller; 100mile 1-1.5week trip? I know I could probably easily piece together a loop very close to home(Ohio).

I really like the idea of earning the thruhiker or end to ender badge! Meeting other hikers and several different points on trail, earning a trail name! I like the whole experience.

What do you guys think? I think I am past the “do research on YouTube” point. I am ready to pack my bag and get on with it!!

Thanks

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Read my signature.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Do a 10 night trip with a resupply in the middle; long enough to give you a taste of adventure, but short enough to be within your comfort level.

After that, the sky's the limit.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycat View Post
    Do a 10 night trip with a resupply in the middle; long enough to give you a taste of adventure, but short enough to be within your comfort level.
    After that, the sky's the limit.
    Agree, that's a good suggestion. It's long enough for a person to begin distinguishing between the excitement/romance/exhilaration of the imagined trail culture, and the reality of trudging along, dealing with the day-to-day.

Find something that's a week long and go for it! You don't have to jump from 2-3 days straight to 3 weeks -- there are plenty of options in between. I generally hike for 1-2 weeks. After a few days, I find that I'm hitting my stride and I enjoy the trip more.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Agree, that's a good suggestion. It's long enough for a person to begin distinguishing between the excitement/romance/exhilaration of the imagined trail culture, and the reality of trudging along, dealing with the day-to-day.
    Once I hit my fourth day I'm able to zone out, and hiking turns into more of a meditation punctuated by various things of interest. I think it's a result of my conscious mind giving up and letting go of my "ordinary" life, and accepting the new existence that the trail brings, along with a profound sense of wonder as to why it took me to long to get back to her.

All the above suggestions make sense. But then, many people that do long thru-hikes do them as their first backpacking experience. I think one the keys to keep in mind as you are thinking about it is that most thru-hikes are just a bunch of 3-day trips strung together. You're rarely if ever more than a day or two from civilization.

Do whatever works for you and have fun with it!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries

I second others' suggestion that you undertake jaunt of about 10 or 12 days, including a rest-and-resupply stop in a town, before doing a hike that will last three weeks or longer. When planning your 10 to 12 day trip trip you might find it prudent to exercise caution concerning the mileage that you anticipate completing each day. If during each day you hike somewhat fewer miles than the maximum that you could physically do, you may then be able to sustain your enjoyment of the hike for more days or weeks than would otherwise be the case. Each of us is different in that respect. I personally get as much satisfaction from camping out in the woods alone as I do from covering miles.

When you are ready to thru hike a trail of medium length somewhere, consider possibly doing so on the recently lengthened 353 mile long Sheltowee Trace located in eastern Kentucky and northern Tennessee. The Sheltowee Trace Association (STA) sells a patch and publishes on-line a list of people who have walked all of it (either in sections or all at once), the Trace's "End-to-Enders". Compared to Vermont's Long Trail, the Sheltowee Trace is considerably closer to your home in Ohio. See posts #6 and #9 in the Buckeye Trail related thread that you started here on White Blaze last year:

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...t=#post2271278

Also, take a look at the "Resources" link within this web page provided by the Sheltowee Trace Association:
    https://sheltoweetrace.org/trail

Last edited by Siestita; 08-18-2021 at 00:57.

Journal Entries

"I really like the idea of earning the thruhiker or end to ender badge! Meeting other hikers and several different points on trail, earning a trail name! I like the whole experience."

Unless you make prior arrangements to hike there with others (such as through the STA's HIker Challenge), the Sheltowee Trace, while very beautiful, is not an especially "social" trail. That may also be true at times for the northern (non-AT) portion of the Long Trail, a path with which I am not yet personally acquainted. If you want to hike independently while also interacting frequently with other backpackers, doing a section of the AT might fulfill that purpose more effectively.
    Last edited by Siestita; 08-18-2021 at 01:00.

Images

I don't know your age or fitness level but I do not recommend doing the Long Trail as your first long hike. Mile-for-mile it is the toughest trail in the country. I just completed the northern 90 miles which is the toughest stretch. I am a very experienced hiker and it beat me up pretty good - much of it is more like climbing than hiking. I would look for something easier that still offers good resupply options. Perhaps something like the Superior Hiking Trail in Minnesota.

Doing several 2 and 3 night trips should give you a fairly decent idea of what to expect on a three week trip. I bet if you string your total overnight trips together it would equal at least a couple weeks out on the trail, right? I encourage you not to over think it, get out of your head and do your three week trip. Plan appropriately and have some contingencies in place. There are catalogues of trip reports here, use them as a planning tool for your hike. Your knowledge and comfort zone will grow exponentially. Best wishes, pal
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Default Target practice to maybe help logistic confusion and intimidation

I'm always confused and overwhelmed logistically. Some people plan exact mileage, shelters, meals, day/time of return etc. I carry a little extra weight, food, fuel and play it by ear. There are whiteblaze articles for some of this.
    You've been on whiteblaze for a while, have gear that you have actually used including a 1 lb chair and clearly enjoy your trips. Ideally, a week backpack trip preferably in steeper terrain would be better but I say go for it. Perhaps you can manage a long weekend doing climbs (hikes) in Adirondacks beforehand. Where you go depends on whether you want to socialize (AT/LT) or not. Some trails/sections can be lonely (even with people on them).
    Logistically, the issue is one of narrowing possibilities and making firm decisions. You can always make changes later. The very act of planning for a specific trail translates well to other trails. I think the Long Trail is a good choice because although it is tough in places, it is still a beginner trail in terms of trail information, logistics, local support, easy hitchhiking, and trail finding. It has shelters spaced for short or long days with adequate camping areas nearby, generally easy water sources, and a few swimming ponds. Some areas have a small fee, some are crowded including around leaf season. The trail is steep in places and has some long climbs. There are some ladders and some overgrown spots in the north but no true rock climbing. Beware that Vermont and Massachusetts have had some strict though mostly self-enforced Covid restrictions in the past. Be prepared to camp rather than stay in a shelter. 'nuf said.
    Get a notebook and start lists: pre-hike shoe break-in and walks, gear, food, transportation issues, apps, emergency numbers, home issues (bills, mail drops, med insurance?...),purchases to be made questions, answers... Check off as you finish.
    PREP: Walk an hour everyday. Start from your house. Hill work, steppers, calf work, hiking with a pack are great but don't sweat it if you are in decent shape. Break in your hiking shoes/feet.
    TRAVEL Go by car or sometimes bus if possible for shorter hikes (like this one). Flights are still being cancelled at the last minute. A car gives the flexibility although tiring. Arrange to leave it somewhere. It makes life easier if you bail early (not always within your control). The return from the north end of the trail can have some logistics problems. Nail down how but if at all possible allow for adjustments in your return date. Understand some bail point issues if needed. Hikes are so much more pleasant if you can finish a few days early or late at your own pace. There is bus service in VT but it doesn't go all the way north.

BTW stay out of Canada even one step from the LT. This can open a huge can of worms.
    TIMING 20-30 days. Some say 14-30. Another says 19 average. Again I hate having to force a specific end time. Start slow, avoid blisters, stop and air out your feet occasionally. Change socks. Carry extra.
    Mileage per day ????? Bring a book and read some the first few days. As sept leads to Oct the days get shorter. 270/20 =13.5 miles per hiking day 270/30 = 9 miles per hiking day. Towns can eat days and still put miles on your feet. Avoid blisters. Stick to 10 miles max maybe less the first 3 days. Increase slowly. Don't expect to hike more than 15 miles in a full hiking day. 21 days not including travel may be too quick.
    GEAR Take what you have, whatever it is. Add some meds, ear plugs, a blister kit, something for water treatment, extra fuel, extra clothes, phone apps, paper town guide, paper databook (mileages, water, shelters, elevation cross-section). Plenty of gear lists here along with advice. I hear Guthooks is nice. The Green mtn club has a town guide and trail guide both with paper and electronic additions along with a map app. I hate admitting this but a map is not needed. Have a plan if you truly get lost. (always keep you pack with you). Have a plan/gear if you get wet/cold. Bailing to town is easy but costs $$ and time. Staying in town can be $$$ in Vermont. This a negative for this trail. The town guide/Guthooks helps with all this.
    Bring a book. It doesn't wear down your batteries. Turn off your GPS in your phone unless using it. Same for the phone itself. Recharging can be a pain. No matter what you carry, you will be envious of others and they you. Hiking a popular trail is a great chance to to eye shop others' gear. The outfitter in Manchester will have most of your small desires if you truly need to make changes. You also may stuff home. Beware of fuel issues. Canister versus alcohol. Check the town guides.
    FOOD Plan on 2lbs/day of dry food including some "dried" fruit. Maybe less. Add an extra full day for the first leg. To keep logistics simple, take primarily what you have been taking. Bring more snack food and less meal food at least for the first few days. Whereas you might not be able to eat a lot of big meals most of us can devour our Snickers, nut mixture... Take some variety for each resupply. Remember you can add and dump things in town. This food is based from the minute you step on the trail to the minute you step off. Treat your travel and town food separately. Town can be expensive. You can buy as you go but it is hard to not overbuy. After the first or second hard day your appetite drops for several days. Consider starting at 1 1/2 lb/day for the for first week. Remember if your extra 1/2 lb is junk food, there will be many takers. For a short hike it is usually easier to mail it. You can always add a few things from town. Keep your mail resupplies to food only if possible. This allows you to skip the pickup and buy locally if doesn't arrive or the PO is closed... Keep the tracking numbers/receipts and use USPS to keep it simple or UPS for reliability. Shipping to other than a post office avoids the noon Saturday to 8 am Monday dead time. Don't rule out a town shopping trip. Check the town guides. If buying at the grocery store, buy only half of what you need first. This gives the opportunity to mull things over, make some daily meal decisions (weigh each day) and maybe even eat some before committing. Don't take stuff you won't eat at home. Keep it simple for your first trip.
    This is not comprehensive. I hope this helps as a starting point. Throw darts at it. Personalize it. Change it. Ignore it. Have fun.
    www.trailjournals.com can also be of help in addition to the aforementioned trip reports.

++ New Posts ++