WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Recent rains & flooding --?

I've been reading a few news articles about a lot of flash flooding from recent storm systems in North Carolina and Tennessee...I'm curious to know if these areas are close to the AT (or other trails) and what kind of damage has been seen, or anticipated?
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Northern Ga in the Suches area had a lot of flooding and downed trees. Can't speak specifically about the trail but from what I saw yeah, there will be problems.
    Tellico area had similar problems.
    ./~Hi ho, hi ho, it's up the trail I go ./~

The devastating flood in Tennessee was west of Nashville, so not close to the AT. However, the southern AT region got a tremendous deluge ten days ago (remnants of a tropical storm) followed by periodic, but more spotty, heavy rain over the past week. Some areas have experienced serious flooding. Most creeks and rivers in the vicinity of the trail are high or very high. That's not a problem on the trail itself, since its mostly mostly on ridges and mountains with small streams involved (occasional exceptions, like Justus Creek in Georgia). But getting to and from the AT via car might be an issue, here and there.

Tough year for hiking in some sections, but the hikers I have talked to in CT and VT generally have been upbeat. Bugs are a lot worse than usual. I spoke to a South bound hiker who said the 100 mile stretch in Maine was not bad for him when he went through this year as conditions were dry.

++ New Posts ++