WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default A very short walk on the AT

Finally got around to summiting Mount Moosilauke yesterday so got to walk a little bit of the AT which goes over it. Meet lots of other day hikers, but no thru hikers. It was a fine day up there, just enough breeze to keep from getting heat stroke.

IMG_20210825_113932069_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210825_114447907_HDR.jpg
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

If you think beqaver brook trail is just a short walk, I take my hat off to you. In yesterdays heat, I think it would have taken me all day and part of the night.
    RDL

Quote Originally Posted by rdljr View Post
    If you think beqaver brook trail is just a short walk, I take my hat off to you. In yesterdays heat, I think it would have taken me all day and part of the night.
    RDL
    I only walked up to the sign We did a loop up from the Moosilauke Ravine lodge, which is only a 2295 foot climb and 8 miles round trip. The AT section of the loop was only a mile along the top. This was one of the easier 4K's I've done this summer, been trying to finally complete the list. 5 more to go.

Images

The trail going north looks better (1st photo) than the one going south (second photo)

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    The trail going north looks better (1st photo) than the one going south (second photo)
    The summit is large and kind of flat. Here's a side view:
    IMG_20210825_121919599_HDR.jpg

I did a thru hike of Main St in Hanover NH. Does that qualify as a very short hike?

"A very short walk on the AT" reminds me of an encounter we had not long ago at Woody Gap, GA. My wife and I were within sight of the parking lot at Woody Gap on a two-day hike when we encountered what appeared to be a grandmother and two or three kids hiking up from the parking lot. The first in line asked "how far does it go?" I replied, as is my wont, "Maine". He asked "how far is that?" I said "about 2000 miles". Eyes popped. I tried to reassure them they could go as far as the next tree, or the next creek, or the next shelter; no matter, go as far as you care to, turn around and come back, it's a beautiful day, etc. He turned to Grandma and said "it's too far, let's go back to the car". End of hike. Approx. 250 yards. A very short walk on the AT.

Sounds like he exercised sound judgment.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

++ New Posts ++