WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking shoes for plantar fasciitis

I am a hiker suffering from chronic plantar fasciitis. Is there anyone in the same situation? What are your favorite brand of hiking shoes to deal with or hike with plantar fasciitis? Thank you.
    Julio

Hoka one one speedgoats. My foot pain is almost completely gone. My need to stretch (again) after the first 15 minutes of starting to hike has dropped dramatically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Lowas, sold at REI, worked for me. They are heavy, but allowed me to hike while PF healed.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

I tried everything, shoes, inserts, custom ortho, physical therapy, cortisone, the only thing that fixed it was surgery on both feet.

For me the most important thing has been good insoles. I use SOLE insoles because I can heat mold them to my feet. I'm a long distance runner and I use them in my running shoes as well and I haven't had a flair up in well over 10 years.

Merrell are the best for me. I have been dealing with PF for years. I think doing the stretches for PF every day probably does as much for me as the brand of shoes and the type of insoles I wear.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Nothing other than several months of physical therapy fixed my plantar fasciitis. The stretches and exercises they recommended, when done diligently every day for months, finally eliminated the problem for running and hiking.

I hike in Altra Lone Peak's. I've been a long distance runner for 20 years, so Altra's were the first zero drop shoes I ever tried. It took me a few days to get used to that, but I've never looked back.

I had it for six months, tried everything... Finally skillful physical therapy cured it in 4 sessions.

Custom orthotics worked for me. Podiatrist mad emotes of my feet and had them made.

I wear Brooks Cascadia, but what made a real difference is the daily stretches I learned in physical therapy.

I was stubborn and tried to cure myself for a long time. I cannot recommend a good physical therapist strongly enough. Made all the difference in just a few months. I had a good insurance plan that year with a low deductible and my copayment for each session was something like $10 since I’d already hit the deductible. I think they charged $120 per session to the insurance plan.

I will echo Coffee's sentiments on finding a good physical therapist. I was having really intense inflammation in my hip socket. I had tried regular stretching for a while but nothing had helped so my doctor recommended seeing a PT. The PT noticed during evaluation a very slight irregularity in my gait and determined I needed a 1/4" lift on one side. She said it could be changes in age in the hip socket, perhaps a little arthritis. That solved the issue including some back pain that was also likely caused by the hip problem.

As far as plantar fasciitis, which is also a problem, I have found that the problem is more of an everyday nature so working on getting it alleviated beforehand is a good idea. Two important passive choices that work well for me are to 1. Buy a higher quality everyday use hiking shoe that fits my foot well. I have high arches and I find that Merrells work well for me, not always the same style. I can buy these locally and try them on. 2. I have found one particular brand of plantar fasciitis insert fits my foot well and actually works. I recommend avoiding the squishy types. I fit the hiking shoes with the inserts. As far as PF goes, a shoe only fits when you don't think about whether it fits, it just does. If it doesn't, put them back on the shelf and find another pair. It's not about price, or even if it looks great, it's about how it fits. Durability however is important as you will have to replace them, well before they look worn out. I go about 6 months and then if I notice any PF starting, it's new shoes and new inserts. It's similar to running shoes, which tend to lose support long before they actually look worn out.

For me, since I need the shoe lift and the inserts, if I wear sandals or crocs too often in the summertime, I get inflammation in my hip and stirrings of PF.

Also, I am in the believer camp that my PF results from a tight Achilles tendon. It manifests as soreness/tenderness in my calf muscle. It occurs on my left leg, at the back of the calf a little towards the inside of my leg. Tricky thing is, I have to push my thumb into the calf to feel it but when the PF is noticeable it will be sore there. So I will use my thumbs to massage it some and loosen up the calf muscle. Another place helpful to stretch for me is to put the foot at a 90 degree or even slightly shorter angle in relation to the shin and to grab left foot with left hand, thumb in arch, right hand gripping all the toes and stretch toes down and twist gently. Then grab the big toe and stretch in circular motions. These seems to loosen up the fascia. YMMV and there are other ways to stretch that may be helpful.

Best bet is to address beforehand though but certainly add an appropriate pair of hiking shoes that won't aggravate the condition and if they can help to alleviate a current case, well, they might be a good everyday use candidate.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

++ New Posts ++