WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Default iPhone 13 to support satellite communication, allowing users to make phone calls?

An analyst believes that the iPhone 13 will support low earth orbit satellite communication, allowing users to make phone calls and send texts without a cell signal.

https://9to5mac.com/2021/08/29/kuo-i...t-cell-signal/

Could this put an end to Garmin InReach and Spot devices? This could be a real game changer for remote areas without cell service.

That would be a game changer if it was reliable.

There is a company called Lynk that is planning a satellite constellation that act as cell towers for any regular cell phone, not just the iPhone 13. Initially text-messaging only; possibly voice later. They put a demo satellite in orbit and were able to use it to transmit a text to someone in the Falkland islands, outside of cell tower range. I have been eyeing their progress for a while:

https://lynk.world

My understanding is that the company would contract with the cell phone carriers (verizon, etc.) and the user would just get a roaming charge on their bill.

If this happens and it works, will be the best thing since sliced bread.

Unless it has robust PLB emergency functionality, it probably won’t completely replace devices like the in reach in terms of functionality. But it might be enough for what most people want which is mainly to communicate with friends and family.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Unless it has robust PLB emergency functionality
    What is robust PLB emergency functionality? I'm guessing a phone call is much better than an "I need help here" button.

PLBs are physically more durable and robust than cell phones and have dedicated search & rescue functionality.

One very important feature of a plb is not having to use a touch screen which is hard with gloves on and in cold temps. My InReach has a physical button for emergencies. That’s the type of detail that mainstream cell phones won’t support so there still could be a niche market for wilderness travelers. I’d hope the plb manufacturers modernize their gear. They might feel pressured to if cell phones are viewed as a close substitute

PLBs also have a much longer battery life than cell phones.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

PLBs send out a signal to both satellites and rescue transceivers as are used by avalanche transceivers, giving a much tighter window of identification. Of course, they could probably put that in a phone too.
    Be Prepared

My PLB sends a signal with my GPS coordinates included. It transmits for 24 hours. Search and Rescue organizations get the information.
    Significantly better information than a text to family requesting help in an emergency.
    Wayne

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Significantly better information than a text to family requesting help in an emergency.
    In the event of an emergency, I'd call 911 or the authorities directly with my satellite phone instead of texting a family member. But, hey, if that is what people do that is fine with me.

Most people are carrying a smartphone anyway and are pairing it with the Garmin InReach. When you push the emergency button on the PLB it relays very little information about the emergency. The search and rescue teams need to know more about the emergency to know how to respond properly.

If you've paired your smartphone to your PLB you can answer questions from a search and rescue team member with satellite text messages about the nature of the emergency, number of people involved, ages, severity, etc. If the new iPhone can do this without needing a Garmin InReach it will indeed be a game-changer like it was when cell phone towers first starting covering remote areas.

As for battery life that's all relative. The battery in a smartphone and PLB will both last a long time if you don't turn the things on. If you do turn it on the battery life depends on how you use the device and how often.

The big question is what will it cost to the use the satellite services of an iPhone if it does indeed support this technology.

Although the InReach can pair with a smartphone, it also has a (primitive) ability to compose messages on the device itself. Which is how I have used it to send non emergency messages to family members. For example, I was able to have a person back home make travel reservations for me when I had to abort a trip. That type of thing will be much easier with satellite capabilities for cell phones. I just don’t think cell phones will ever be as physically resilient as devices like InReach, nor do I think cell phones will ever have a dedicated physical button to signal emergency. Those are niche uses not relevant to 99%+ of cell phone users. That capability might also not be desired by most backpackers who will find the phones adequate.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

For weight purposes, it's time for an FCC approved PLB app on your phone. My PLB is 1st generation & so is about 3xs the size & weight of my iPhone...
    Be Prepared

It would be nice if phones had this capability and would useful in many situations but I don't think they will replace PLBs for these reasons (some of which others have already pointed out): 1. unlike a phone or satellite messenger a PLB has a battery that is only used when you activate the device and will operate for at least 24 hours. 2. a PLB has a stronger signal than satellite messengers and phones. 3. a PLB is waterproof and is much more rugged than a phone. 4. a PLB has other functions than just sending a GPS location.
    Last edited by TexasBob; 09-03-2021 at 11:38.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    It would be nice if phones had this capability and would useful in many situations but I don't think they will replace PLBs for these reasons (some of which others have already pointed out): 1. unlike a phone or satellite messenger a PLB a battery that is only used when you activate the device and will operate for at least 24 hours. 2. a PLB has a stronger signal than satellite messengers and phones. 3. a PLB is waterproof and is much more rugged than a phone. 4. a PLB has other functions than just sending a GPS location.
    Well said.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Yea you're probably right until the battery and durability and signal issues are dramatically improved on phones. It's only a matter of time.
    Be Prepared

Seems like it makes sense - even though these other options are available and fairly well known for those who hike regularly, there are still going to be far more people carrying a phone than the number carrying a separate beacon.
    Thus, it is helpful for those people to have something that will work in more locations, even if less helpful than the full package would be (since they won't carry that anyway).

I don't see the durability of mass marketed mainstream cell phones getting anywhere near the level of PLBs because the use case for 99.9% of customers does not require it and it would add weight and compromise design elements that manufacturers are constantly trying to improve.

I'm sure that anyone who's tried to use a touch screen in very cold weather has been frustrated with the experience. That's also a major limiting factor in my opinion.

++ New Posts ++