WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default GSMNP section hike

I'm planning to hike the GSMNP 2nd week in Oct 2021. I have read some of the threads related to bear issues in the Park. A couple questions:
    1. how full will shelters be during Oct? I know when I hiked to Deep gap N.C this spring, there were lots of hikers on the trail. With Oct being fall foilage season, will there be a considerable amount of hikers on the trail? I am asking as I will be hiking by myself, and I know odds are good if you are hiking with a group of 2 or more, there is enough noise to prevent most bear encounters. Any infor will be helpful. Yes I know to use bear cables, etc and no food in sleeping area.

respectfully,

Based on past experience.... During midweek the shelters will be half full. During weekends, they will be mostly full. Due to covid, you currently are not required to sleep in the shelter so some will opt to put up their tents. It is very doubtful that you will be at an empty shelter in October.

If you are close to trailheads or popular spots (Fontana, Rocky Top, Clingmans, Newfound Gap, Mt. Cammerer, etc) you will see more people on the trail, but you will be alone most of the day.

I hiked the Smokies section last October..Here’s what I wrote on crowds at shelters and on-trail in general. In summation, 2 out of the 3 shelter areas I used were above capacity, and this was all weekdays.

To follow up, I ended up going last week. Here’s a breakdown of where I was and the crowds:
    (Tuesday) Fontana Hilton to Spence Field: saw 40+ people (and 4 horses) on trail. Shelter slightly area above capacity.
    (Wednesday) Spence Field to Mt. Collins: saw 50+ people on trail (150+ including Clingmans Dome area, which I did not go near). Shelter area under capacity.
    (Thursday) Mt. Collins to Tri-Corner Knob: saw 50+ people on trail (100+ including Newfound Gap). Shelter area over double capacity.
    (Friday) Tri-Corner Knob to Standing Bear: saw ~20 people on trail.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The biggest issue with bears is that covid has created an influx of people in the back country and an influx of people who either don't know, understand, or just unwilling to follow back country rules/regulations regarding food/trash storage.
    That is basically a recipe for more bear encounters in camp, a higher likelihood that more bears are losing their fear of humans, and therefore a larger chance that there will be more "serious" bear encounters.
    And new reports seem to bare that out: https://wlos.com/news/local/bear-enc...-national-park.
    But while bear encounters are on the rise... that most likely means you have a greater chance of encountering a bear in camp, not that there is a significant chance you'll get attacked.
    For example, last time I was at Cosby Shelter, just after everyone had settled in for the night, I heard a noise and saw a black figure in the darkness. Turned on my flashlight and spotted a bear checking out all the gear (stoves, water bottles) people had left out on the table. But that night, none of us at the shelter were ever in any direct danger. The bear wasn't after us and he didn't attempt to enter the shelter.
    Of course, some bear attacks to happen: https://www.thesmokies.com/bear-attacks/ But attacks are rare. I can recall less than a dozen stories of people getting hurt by a bear in the last 20+ years.
    While not an all inclusive list, the only things that come to mind are: The woman killed in 2020 (that's listed in the article above), and the solo hiker killed last year (the autopsy report was only made public recently). Earlier this year was the girl attacked in her hammock in the middle of the night, and the same thing happened to a boy about 5 years ago. Then about 3 years ago, an AT thru hiker was bitten on the foot thru his tent (don't recall if park service determined if that was a predatory attack, or an overly eager bear checking things out). I'm sure there are a few others I might be missing. But when it comes to "serious" bear encounters, that's about it.

I personally would still backpack solo. But after the death of the solo camper about this time last year is that I'd try to be a little more aware of my surroundings when ever I place myself in a vulnerable position.

I don't have any "inside" information on that solo hiker that was killed last year. But based on what has been said, what was not set, from what I've read about bear attacks, and what I've personally experienced over the year, I've personally wondered if what happened was something like the guy crouched down to collect water to filter, and right at that moment, a bear happened to come up behind him, didn't recognize him has human, but thought it looked like an easy target. After all, black bears are generally not predators... they generally don't try to "stalk prey" or "lay in wait to ambush". But they are omnivores, and they are opportunistic. So you won't find bears stalking deer in Cades Cove, but I've heard the stories of visitors spotting a bear attacking/killing a fawn it's accidently stumbled upon.

Great info. thanks so much. I've never really worried about bear issues to be honest. I always make sure to use either bear cables, bear box or if not available a good hang several feet away from my campsite. I generally like to camp in areas where there are others, I "feel" safer. I'm considering purchasing bear spray, not sure how effective that would be as I've read where before a hiker could deploy it, the bear was already in their space. I'll definitely be bear aware, especially in the smokies, where there is a known bear population. Thanks again for the insight.

Mike

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

IF you are going to carry bear spray, for it to be effective, it's got to be in immediate reach.
    I don't have any links right now, but a few years ago I watched a You Tube video where an outdoor expert was teaching the proper way to carry and use bear spray in grizzly country.
    But his basic suggestion was to carry it in a chest harness so that it's always just one easy grab away. That's the "only" way to protect yourself from a surprise attack...

But we're talking about black bear country, and black bears seldom "attack". Worst yet, three of the five attacks I previously listed were at night as the person slept (the two teenagers in hammocks and the AT thru hiker bit on the foot thru his tent). Bear spray wouldn't have been effective in any of those attacks because 1. you'd have to sleep with the bear spray, and 2. once you're under attack, it's a bit late to try to deploy bear spray.

This was something I had discussions with people in various hiking groups when the teenage girl was attacked earlier this year.
    Some people were arguing that the family should have been carrying bear spray and/or a gun. But the attack was already underway before anyone knew the bear was there. Once the bear was "on" the girl, neither the spray nor the gun could be used directly on the bear because there's too much danger of hitting the girl. That sort of situation relegates a gun to just being a loud noise maker that might be able to scare the bear.

Journal Entries
    Images

How did your hike go?? I am hoping to head down for a few nights in a few weeks coming out of Bryson City.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Just got home from the Smokies yesterday afternoon. Weather was spectacular. Quick update:

Day 1 - Started north from the tunnel at the "Road to No Where" on the Benton Mckaye trail. Spent most of the day hiking up Nolan Creek. Pretty standard stuff and didn't see but a couple hikers. Did about 12 miles and stopped to camp at CS 57, Bryson Place, where I had a reservation. There was a posted FS sign there saying it was closed due to Aggressive Bear Behavior. I hesitated as I was quite tired, but then notice the bear cable was broken. I figured that was a clear message one way or the other. I backtracked about half a mile back to CS 56 and camped there by myself. No issues. Did about 13 total miles.

Day 2 - Took the Sunkota Ridge Trail up to Newton Bald (not really bald anymore). About 3000 ft elevation gain and then a similar descent down to Smokemont Campgroud and Hwy 441. I think I passed about 3 hikers on this section. I got a quick hitch up to the Clingman's Dome Road all the way until about a mile before the parking lot near the top. The traffic was bumper to bumper and my ride turned around instead of waiting. I was very appreciative for the ride and beat the cars to the top. Warning - Clingman's Dome is a circus, big tourist trap. Avoid if possible. Nice views though to Fontana Lake. I hiked the first mile of the Forney Ridge trail and then took the first two miles of the Forney Creek Trail down to CS 68. Those were two really tough miles. Very steep and very rocky. I couldn't even do 2 mph. CS 68 is split with two sites about .4 miles apart. The upper site is not too large but right next to an impressive water fall. I shared it with 3 section hikers from MN. Good times. Hiked about 18 total miles.

Day 3 - Went down Forney Creek trail for 8 miles. The trail improves greatly right after CS 68, often being an old road bed. The only thing that slows you down are the 4-6 fords of the Creek. A few were mid-thigh high. I took the shortcut of the White Oak Branch trail to cut a mile and some ascent off the way back to my car. That trail and the last two miles of the Lakeshore Trail were pretty easy. I finished those 12 miles with the fords in about 5+ hours. Did not see any hikers until I was within a mile of the tunnel, day hikers.

Comments - saw no bears and very few people when I was more than a mile away from a trailhead. I was not on the AT, so that makes a big difference. Lots of people hike on the AT, but if you want less people, there are plenty of good trails out there.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Sounds like a great trip

++ New Posts ++