WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Rules of Thumb

Default Rules of Thumb

Can someone help refresh my memory on a couple of these helpful "rules of thumb"? They ran off from my brain and aren't coming back....

Hiking Pace: When trying to judge your pace over miles with elevation change, is it a good rule of thumb to add 30 mins per 1,000 feet of ascent/descent?

Temperature Change: Temperature drops approximately 3° (f) for every 1,000 feet elevation?

My brain thanks you.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

The temperature change question relates to the "adiabatic lapse rate". There are different values for dry and moist conditions which are given in the link provided by Goldenbear.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Thank you both
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The easiest rule of thumb that's pretty accurate for beginners (so adjust as you get in better shape to your own pace) is...
    2 miles per hour and add 1 hour for every 1,000' in elevation gain.

The AMC rule of thumb is 2 miles per hour plus 1/2 hour per thousand feet (up and down) active hiking time. Add extra for any breaks. Its just a guideline, I met a typical thru hiker on Old Speck at the end of the Mahoosuc Trail (AT) on the Me NH border last weekend. He was bummed that his last two days were averaging a mile an hour. Lots of steep ups and downs and rocky trailbed can slow miles way down. On the other hand much of the AT is old roads and even in the whites where the AMC rule of thumb was developed, there are lots of old logging grades and old forestry roads where the rule of thumb is too slow.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    Can someone help refresh my memory on a couple of these helpful "rules of thumb"? They ran off from my brain and aren't coming back....

Hiking Pace: When trying to judge your pace over miles with elevation change, is it a good rule of thumb to add 30 mins per 1,000 feet of ascent/descent?

Temperature Change: Temperature drops approximately 3° (f) for every 1,000 feet elevation?

My brain thanks you.
    Are you talking about Dayhiking or Backpacking? Both have differences when it comes to pace and MPH. Further, walking a mile in a certain time with no pack/20 lb pack/95 lb pack will vary.

Thinking more specifically about backpacking. I know that on a typical dayhike in the rollercoaster hills of southern Indiana, I used to maintain a pace of about 2.5 mph, including short (pack on/boots on) breaks. I am having.to "rebuild" myself after several long months of illness, and even this is something that is taking time and patience (lots of patience) to regain, but I am working towards a goal of going down to do a section of the AT in Georgia/NC, perhaps next February, and just trying to assess things. If that makes sense.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Images

Thinking more specifically about backpacking. I know that on a typical dayhike in the rollercoaster hills of southern Indiana, I used to maintain a pace of about 2.5 mph, including short (pack on/boots on) breaks. I am having.to "rebuild" myself after several long months of illness, and even this is something that is taking time and patience (lots of patience) to regain, but I am working towards a goal of going down to do a section of the AT in Georgia/NC, perhaps next February, and just trying to assess things. If that makes sense.
    February in the southern Appalachians could be anything from sunny 60° days and nice cool nights in camp to full on single digit temps with snow and ice or freezing rain with all the early thru-hikers bailing out and booking every available motel room. Keep an eye on the short term weather reports and trail conditions before you go and know that the mountains will be much colder than the towns. First time hikers to the area are usually shocked at just how mountainous the beginning of the AT in Georgia and North Carolina is as well. Personally, I wouldn't plan on anything near a 2mph pace. FYI, most thru-hikers start at a slower pace (8 to 12 miles per day depending upon beginning fitness level) to avoid injury.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The AMC rule of thumb is 2 miles per hour plus 1/2 hour per thousand feet (up and down) active hiking time. Add extra for any breaks. Its just a guideline, I met a typical thru hiker on Old Speck at the end of the Mahoosuc Trail (AT) on the Me NH border last weekend. He was bummed that his last two days were averaging a mile an hour. Lots of steep ups and downs and rocky trailbed can slow miles way down. On the other hand much of the AT is old roads and even in the whites where the AMC rule of thumb was developed, there are lots of old logging grades and old forestry roads where the rule of thumb is too slow.
    Agree. I think the "2 miles per hour plus 1/2 hour per 1000 feet of elevation gain" works okay for a hiker in reasonably good physical condition when the footpath is relatively benign. And thru-hikers can often get to 3mph + 1/2 hr per 1000' once they're in "trail shape". But hit the trail when you're out of shape and that 2 mph pace probably isn't going to happen. And when the footpath becomes more severe - steep slabs, rocks, roots, slippery, etc., and/or when the weather gets gnarly with high winds and such, as it often does in the Whites and Maine, even pretty fit hikers can be slowed down considerably. 1 mph isn't really all that unusual on tough terrain when carrying a full pack.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Not planning a thru hike. Once upon a time that was a plan, now I'm just interested in enjoying sections when I can. And yes, I'm certainly only thinking of 8-10 mile days to start. I'd like to make it to Franklin.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Images

Not planning a thru hike. Once upon a time that was a plan, now I'm just interested in enjoying sections when I can. And yes, I'm certainly only thinking of 8-10 mile days to start. I'd like to make it to Franklin.
    Sounds like my speed!
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

++ New Posts ++