WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trail exit suggestions

Hi, All. First time poster here. Also about to be first time AT hiker.

I plan to start my trip at Clingman's Dome in Smoky Mountain National Park, hike the TN/NC border thru the Smokies for 5 days.

I'm planning transportation from Knoxville, TN to the trailhead at Clingman's Dome. Hiking 6-8 miles a day, does anyone have suggestions to exit the trail for a pick up point 5 days later to get back to Knoxville?

Also, any recommendations on shuttle services from/to Knoxville?

Thanks in advance.

Journal Entries

Welcome to White Blaze!

I'm curious to know when you're planning this trip. Temperatures are very pleasant in the mountains right now. I'll be out there myself this weekend.

Clingman's Dome is at approximately the midpoint of the AT in the Smokies. If you start there and head north to Davenport Gap, it's about 40 miles. If you go south to Fontana Dam, it's about 30 miles. If your intent is to hike the whole NC/TN border, you probably should start at one of the endpoints, not the middle. If your intent is to hike half of the border, then I'd recommend going north to Davenport Gap. It's a bit more scenic, and Davenport Gap is relatively easy to get to from I-40. A useful online tool for point-to-point distances is https://www.atdist.com/ .

I assume you've familiarized yourself with the park's backcountry permit system and regulations.

WB on the homepage has a box at the upper left with a link to shuttles.

You must stay at the huts and they require reservations/payment before hand. Some huts maybe closed due to bear activity. Some huts may already be full. So, your daily mileage is determined by the spacing of the huts and which ones have space available for the dates you want. There are 6 huts between Clingmans and Davenport gap, although the first and last are so close to your start/end point they hardly count. Most hikers can do the whole park in 5-6 days.

The last time I needed to get from Knoxville to Gatlinburg I took a taxi. It cost $120 and that was years ago.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks, Illabelle!
    Planning the trip in the middle of October. Not planning to hike the whole border, just trying to do a nice piece of it.
    I am familiar with the permit system and the shelter system.
    Thanks for the link, and I have already found the shuttle page on the WB site. Was just wondering if anyone had a service they preferred.

I like AAA Hiker Shuttle. Can be reached at [email protected]. Enjoy, I hiked the Smokies AT section last October and really liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    You must stay at the huts and they require reservations/payment before hand. Some huts maybe closed due to bear activity. Some huts may already be full. So, your daily mileage is determined by the spacing of the huts and which ones have space available for the dates you want. There are 6 huts between Clingmans and Davenport gap, although the first and last are so close to your start/end point they hardly count. Most hikers can do the whole park in 5-6 days.

The last time I needed to get from Knoxville to Gatlinburg I took a taxi. It cost $120 and that was years ago.
    I met a trail runner this summer who told me that the park rangers tolerate, due to covid, tenting around shelters even if the shelter is not completely full. As for a taxi, I paid $166 from Gatlinburg to Greyhound bus station in Knoxville. It is cheaper to and from the airport. and then you will need a shuttle from Gatlinburg to your trail head in the park.
    ea

You could exit at Davenport Gap and get a shuttle from the Standing Bear hostel right on Davenport Gap. I do not know how much will cost you a shuttle back to Knoxville, but it's not gonna be cheap.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Notice Slo-go'en mentioned the use of a taxi to get to Gatlinburg?
    Anyone providing you a shuttle inside the national park for a fee requires a permit.
    To my knowledge, the only two companies situated on the TN side of the park with the required permits are AAA Hiker (the one Slugg mentioned) and "A Walk In The Woods" (www.awalkinthewoods.com)

BTW: Has anyone used AAA Hiker in the last few months?
    Once COVID hit, I could never get a hold of them.
    I tried thru the listed email as well as via phone call, voice mail, and text message using the two phone numbers I have for them. But never got a reply.
    But at this point, it's been since the start of June that I needed a shuttle.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Oh... if you can get to Gatlinburg, I hear it's a pretty easy hitch-hike to the top of the mountain.
    While hitch-hiking in the park is legal... I'm not sure it's technically legal in Gatlinburg. But if you stand on the corner near that last gas station in Gatlinburg with your pack, locals and frequent visitors will know you're likely looking for a ride into the park.
    I hear it's also easy to hitch-hike back into Gatlinburg from New Found Gap or Clingman's Dome parking lot... but I've never tried it... there's no "standard" spot to stand to let everyone know you're looking for a ride to town.

An alternative to getting a shuttle would be to hike less of the AT and instead do a loop utilizing the BMT and/or other park trails.
    For example, camp at Mt Collins, Ice Water Springs, and Pecks shelters along the AT. Then hike down into Smokemont area staying at Campsite #50, cross the road and up to #52, then down into Deep Creek area for #55.
    Return to Climgman's Dome area via Poles Road Creek trail and Noland Divide Trail (when you get to Clingman's Dome road, turn right and hike 3/4 mile until the hills meet the road. At that point, it's a 20' walk thru the bushes to return to the AT and then hike back to Clingman's Dome... otherwise it's 1.5 mile road walk to just walk from Noland Divide to Clingman's Dome parking area).
    If you are not familiar with these camp sites or trail names, you can download the GSMNP back country trail map here: https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvis...Map_JULY21.pdf

I do shuttles in the area east (trail North) of the Smokies.
    Davenport to Knoxville would be 3 hours for me and 165 miles. I would charge $130 for this.

++ New Posts ++