WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default New bunk house around Falls Village, CT???????

I saw on Guthook a posted comment about a "new" bunkhouse/lodging somewhere near Falls Village. I can't seem to find the post and there doesn't seem to be very many options for tenting outside of Salisbury.... yeah, the Limestone Spring Shelter but I hate humping a half mile off trail just to camp. Not sure they are operating but Breaded Woods might be an option.
    Although I know you not to use undesignated campsites in CT.... wonder how easy it would be to find stealth spots along the way.... not trying to stir the pot but in reality sometimes you just got to do what you got to do.

Having nearly lost access to one of the nicest sections of AT in southern New England along the Riga Plateau (between Lions Head and Race Mountain) due to camper carelessness with fires and other mischief over the years, a precarious balance between private landowners and the ATC exists. Were it not for the negotiating talents of members in the CT Chapter of the AMC the plateau trail section would likely be closed, forcing an 8-mile road walk. Now that would be something to complain about! I would hope people respect the combined wishes of the ATC and property owner agreements and stay in designated camping areas where required and avoid open campfires where prohibited.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

It only takes one incident for a landowner to decide to close access to his/her land. Doesn't matter if it's illegal camping by a nice hiker or snowmobiles digging up a cornfield. Respect property owners rights as you would expect others to respect yours.

Images

I'll be up hiking in CT myself in a couple weeks... maybe we'll run into each other.

I'm planning to stay at shelters or designated campsites every night. I'm not crazy about the camping restrictions but I understand why they are needed and it seems like the CT trail club has at least made a good effort to make sure there are plenty of designated campsites. Better than the Smokies, at least.

I really wasn't crazy about the Limestone Spring shelter either but it doesn't seem like there are many other options in that area. I saw something on Guthooks about a cafe in Falls Village that lets people camp out back - may be worth looking into.
    It's all good in the woods.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and comments.... especially those respecting the integrity of the Trail. I can only think of maybe three occasions over the 1400 miles I've hiked the AT that I had to actually stealth camp and it was necessary because of foul weather, being lost once and health issues... I was plum worn out and camp directly under a sign that said "no camping" a week later I underwent a quadruple bypass surgery... sometimes you just don't know about things.

Surprising that that section around Bear Mountain is still somehow privately owned (or is it just some of the access points to the main AT?). Seems that would be something that the Park Service would try to fix by purchase or some type of buy out (if it is actually the main routing).

Journal Entries

[QUOTE=LittleRock;2289582]I'll be up hiking in CT myself in a couple weeks... maybe we'll run into each other.

I'm planning to stay at shelters or designated campsites every night. I'm not crazy about the camping restrictions but I understand why they are needed and it seems like the CT trail club has at least made a good effort to make sure there are plenty of designated campsites. Better than the Smokies, at least.

I really wasn't crazy about the Limestone Spring shelter either but it doesn't seem like there are many other options in that area. I saw something on Guthooks about a cafe in Falls Village that lets people camp out back - may be worth looking into.[/QUOT

To everyone that says this: At the end of the day and being tired it is a suicide run down the the shelter. I did it once when it was on the trail and they changed it to that. I had to rest for an hour before going down there.

This is making me long to hike in Scandinavia where you can hike and camp on almost any undeveloped, unoccupied land; no permission, no permits, no reservations, no fees required. Private property or public. It makes no difference.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    This is making me long to hike in Scandinavia where you can hike and camp on almost any undeveloped, unoccupied land; no permission, no permits, no reservations, no fees required. Private property or public. It makes no difference.
    Sign me up! No closing down the wells and campsites like NY and NJ?

Quote Originally Posted by NY HIKER 50 View Post
    Sign me up! No closing down the wells and campsites like NY and NJ?
    No need for wells. You are rarely more than a few minutes walk from a stream that is safe to drink without treatment. Can't close campgrounds. You can camp almost anywhere and putting up a No Trespassing sign is illegal. Google Kungsleden and Padjelantaleden (trails) or Sarek and Abisko (national parks) or Kebnekaise (tallest mountain). All are in the same wilderness area in NW Sweden. I have not been, but am planning a trip for sometime in the future. Picture was taken in Padjelantaleden NP looking into Sarek NP (downloaded from a Swedish backpacking forum I follow)
    Alkajavre.jpg

++ New Posts ++