WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 4days/3nights, critique my food

Planning a 4 day/3 night trip. I am struggling with planning lunches. Please critique.

3 breakfast,
    4 lunch’s,
    3 dinners,
    Snacks plus extra in case I need a 5th lunch on hike out. Planning to be back at car before 11a.

Breakfast ans dinners are the BPs. Lunches are wraps with PB(1), Tuna mix(2&3), and spam(4).

Many snacks to mix and match and also be a back up meal in case my last day hike out last longer than planned (to car by 11a)

What are your thoughts?

I hope your tortillas hold up. I've had problems with some of the high fiber varieties get soggy in storage.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Looks pretty similar to what I'd be carrying for that length of trip - hiker hunger doesn't really kick in yet. Couple comments/suggestions based on what I'd add or subtract - just personal preferences:
    - I start each day with a carnation instant breakfast in addition to whatever solid food I'm having. I usually drink it hot, with instant coffee (a hot mocha). It adds some calories and makes me drink that much more fluid to start the day.
    - I add a packet of emergen-C for each breakfast
    - a packet of swiss miss instant cocoa is great on a chilly night
    - No coffee/tea? (obviously, if you don't drink it at home, you don't need it on trail)
    - I like the epic bars, but I usually eat them with some carbs, too - lara bars, granola bars, dates, whatever
    - I've never had problems with tortillas. sometimes I use naan bread instead
    - got some mustard packets and string cheese to go with that SPAM? I think SPAM is a great power lunch, the fat helps power the day.

Looks good, have fun!

Great suggestions. I forgot to add the coffee; sbuxs via pouch’s.

Good point about the instant breakfast. On my 1-2 day overnights I usually take 2 packs instant oatmeal, a instant breakfast, and if I am in a hurry I throw my coffee in it.

I though I would try these backpacker pantry breakfasts. They sounded good.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I hope your tortillas hold up. I've had problems with some of the high fiber varieties get soggy in storage.
    My problem is that they would tend to stick together. So initially I started separating them with wax paper cut to size. But lately I've been using pick-a-size paper towels. No cutting, just fold it in half, and you have a ready napkin (so double duty).

Garlic
    Images

Rather than "meals," I pay attention to total net weight. I know how much food weight I need for x miles, and just eat something like a small meal or large snack every time I stop to rest, usually five or six times a day. That weight varies from 1.5 to 2.5 pounds per day, depending on distance, terrain and weather. What is the net weight of your food? Your distance and elevation gain?

One preachy critique, please ignore if it's offensive: That's a lot of packaging. My method is to pack bulk oats, nuts, dried fruit, and dried potatoes in reusable ziplocks, a large jar of PB, a bag of bread (usually tortillas). I once hiked a 180-mile stretch on the CDT between resupply, and all my trash fit in the empty PB jar.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

++ New Posts ++