WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking for a 3-4 day loop hike in North Carolina or around that area.

Hola. Feel free to move this sweet post if it’s not in the right place. I am looking for options for a 3-4 day hike, with a strong a strong preference for a loop trail. It’s the only time off I have this year, been cooped up inside, working from home. Basically, I am going through withdrawals and need to get out and about. I live in Jacksonville Florida, so anything in north Georgia or western North Carolina area. I have completed the entire AT in Georgia, and vowed to never go back to Ravens Cliff wilderness. I’d like to be able to hit a town Saturday night, scrub my bum and head out for a few beers and a burger. Thanks for the help.

Maybe Panthertown? Bear canister might be required.

Since you include North Georgia in your criteria, maybe the Georgia Loop would be good. It takes in parts of the AT, Duncan Ridge Trail and BMT. The traditional starting/ending spot is Woody Gap, but it can be accomplished from several other spots as well. A quick search, either here or on the wider inter-web-world-thingy, will get you enough information to get you on the trail. If memory serves the loop is about 56 or so miles and you can make it longer by adding some side trails.

Lots of options inside the GSMNP

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/maps.htm
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

Standing Indian Loop

I say start at the Daniel Boone Boy Scout camp/ Shining Rock Wilderness and go up the Art Loeb ( get water before reaching the gap) then swing left and camp on Cold Mountain (trail dead ends at an overlook but several good camps along the way), next day hike the Art Loeb south, stop to go see the namesake white quartz , then continue south on the AL and camp in the trees just past Black Balsam or if weather permits, maybe camp on the summit. If 3 nights, take the Mountains to Sea trail north (eventually down to HWY 215), and pick up the Flat Laurel Creek trail after a short road walk north, camp somewhere just above the falls at one of the many sites, last day continue up Flat Laurel then hang a left on the Sam Knob trail and summit the knob, then continue up to Black Balsam parking lot, and hike Ivestor Trail through the gap and pick up the East Fork trail to return to Daniel Boone. If four nights, possibly add a side trip west to the Middle Prong Wilderness and find the camps at the junction of the MST and Fork Mtn.

++ New Posts ++