WhiteBlaze Pages
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$10 for printed copy(paperback). $6 for interactive PDF. $2 for printable PDF.
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1

    Default New Hampshire - Five Miles at a Time

    I'm starting to chip away at New Hampshire So far, in keeping with my "Five Miles at a Time" theme (and constraint), I've accomplished from the VT border to Lyme Dorchester Rd/Smarts Mtn Trailhead. My next two planned are relatively flat hikes: Rt25C - Rt25A SOBO, and High St - Rt25 Glencliff SOBO. I'm comfortable with the idea I can manage these two small/easy-looking hikes.

    What I'm not sure about is the space between these two. Rt25C - Rt25 is short enough, but appears to have a significant challenge in either direction. My question is: What is that severe elevation change near mile 1792? Is it a rock scramble? A ladder? Should it be more safely tackled NOBO or SOBO?

    242469077_1132869437452302_9140160226219191184_n.jpg

    I would appreciate input from anyone experienced in this specific climb/descent. My knees are good, but my height and reach and weak grip can make certain rock scrambles safer in one direction than another.

    Thanks.
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 09-24-2021 at 18:15.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

  2. #2

    Default

    Not an answer to your question but I also want to chip away at the AT in Maryland 5-10 miles at a time. Do you park your car at a trailhead & go out & back? Or do you have someone pick you up at the end of your segment?

  3. #3

    Default

    I must commend you for "chipping away" like this. I don't think most people have the patience. They would just say "screw it, I don't have time to do it in big chunks (or all at once)."
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

    A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterHiker View Post
    Not an answer to your question but I also want to chip away at the AT in Maryland 5-10 miles at a time. Do you park your car at a trailhead & go out & back? Or do you have someone pick you up at the end of your segment?
    I despise "out & back" on the AT. It's hard enough the first time LOL! Also, I prefer to hike to my car, so I arrange transport at the start. It takes a little finagling to keep within my comfortable mileage limits, but with the use of shuttlers ($), self-shuttling with a bicycle (or my new little e-bike yay!), 2-car setups when hiking with friends, and loop hikes, I've managed.

    To be completely honest, 90% of my hikes involve shuttles, so I feel I've done my fair share to support the AT providers, but I consider the expense a gift to myself and really have no problem justifying it.

    PM me if you need info on specific hikes. I've hiked all of MD, done some of it twice, and shuttled/escorted hikers through a few times. I don't offer a "service", ie I'm not a shuttler, but I always help if I can.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by One Half View Post
    I must commend you for "chipping away" like this. I don't think most people have the patience. They would just say "screw it, I don't have time to do it in big chunks (or all at once)."

    At 800 miles in, I believe at this point it has become a contest of wills.
    I know the AT will eventually win, but I plan to give it a hell of a fight.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

  6. #6

    Default

    If you decide to do 5 or 6 days in a row like this, I'd be interested in joining with my car so we could shuttle each other. It's a bit of a drive from Florida so I'd need several days of hiking to justify the travel time, whether with a partner or a hired shuttle.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    I despise "out & back" on the AT. It's hard enough the first time LOL! Also, I prefer to hike to my car, so I arrange transport at the start. It takes a little finagling to keep within my comfortable mileage limits, but with the use of shuttlers ($), self-shuttling with a bicycle (or my new little e-bike yay!), 2-car setups when hiking with friends, and loop hikes, I've managed.

    To be completely honest, 90% of my hikes involve shuttles, so I feel I've done my fair share to support the AT providers, but I consider the expense a gift to myself and really have no problem justifying it.

    PM me if you need info on specific hikes. I've hiked all of MD, done some of it twice, and shuttled/escorted hikers through a few times. I don't offer a "service", ie I'm not a shuttler, but I always help if I can.
    Thank you for the info! I'll get in touch; it'll be next year. I'm still building the mileage .... (recovering from a quadricep injury; I've only been able to hike on flat terrain for the past year or so.) I've charted out all the road crossings and broken down the MD section into segments that I thought would be do-able. I may camp somewhere, like Greenbrier SP, etc. so that I can do a couple of segments in a week.

    I particularly love the idea of e-bike! Which one did you purchase (sounds like you like it).

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    If you decide to do 5 or 6 days in a row like this, I'd be interested in joining with my car so we could shuttle each other. It's a bit of a drive from Florida so I'd need several days of hiking to justify the travel time, whether with a partner or a hired shuttle.
    I completely appreciate that. VT & NH are reasonably close so I can do day hikes/day trips, but most of the AT for me means an 12hr+ drive. I almost always try to do multi-day trips to make it worth the travel time.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterHiker View Post
    I particularly love the idea of e-bike! Which one did you purchase (sounds like you like it).
    Costco online has a "little" ebike called the Bolt Pro that is well worth the $399 price tag...at least for my purposes. The beauty is that if you don't like it you can always return it. Of course they were out of stock when I wanted one, so I got a knock-off, but so far I'm happy with it. I have yet to actually try to self-shuttle with it, but I plan to this October on my next adventure. It doesn't go fast, and it doesn't go far, but it's fast enough and will go far enough, and I can recharge it in my car. Also, it doesn't impact my sleeping space as it folds up.
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 09-27-2021 at 03:05.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

  10. #10

    Default

    I don't remember any rock scrambles in that area, it's just normal hiking on the usual muddy, rocky, root infested trail. The real tough stuff starts after Moosiluke and doing 5 mile days will be more a challenge past there.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I don't remember any rock scrambles in that area, it's just normal hiking on the usual muddy, rocky, root infested trail. The real tough stuff starts after Moosiluke and doing 5 mile days will be more a challenge past there.
    I am aware I'm headed into long-haul area. So far I have 2 6-milers planned for the whites....both start at the top of Mt. Washington LOL...but yes, I know that there are significant portions that I can't manage now or possibly ever. I'm ok with that and will do what I can.

    However, the sudden elevation change in that chart I posted certainly must be something! The ALDHA guide says nothing and I'm not sure what other resource might be helpful.
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 09-27-2021 at 03:08.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

  12. #12

    Default

    I hiked 25A to 25 with a bike shuttle a few months ago, definitely do not remember any scrambling with hands or overly tricky terrain. I still need to do Smarts mountain trailhead to 25A (planning on an overnighter maybe over the Columbus day weekend), is there a person you have used for a shuttle in that area?

    I too am section hiking NH. I had done the 4000K footers years ago and am now realizing all the little 2-7 mile segments of the AT I am missing through the Whites. Had I know I would try to hike the entire AT I would have planned very differently.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bum Ditty View Post
    I hiked 25A to 25 with a bike shuttle a few months ago, definitely do not remember any scrambling with hands or overly tricky terrain. I still need to do Smarts mountain trailhead to 25A (planning on an overnighter maybe over the Columbus day weekend), is there a person you have used for a shuttle in that area?
    I too am section hiking NH. I had done the 4000K footers years ago and am now realizing all the little 2-7 mile segments of the AT I am missing through the Whites. Had I know I would try to hike the entire AT I would have planned very differently.
    Hikers Welcome Hostel Shuttles 603-989-0040 or cell 203-605-9430 Ask for Acadicus, though he will likely answer the phone. The hostel closes 10/1, but he will still provide shuttles.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Hikers Welcome Hostel Shuttles 603-989-0040 or cell 203-605-9430 Ask for Acadicus, though he will likely answer the phone. The hostel closes 10/1, but he will still provide shuttles.
    Thank you. Good luck wih your hikes!

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    However, the sudden elevation change in that chart I posted certainly must be something! The ALDHA guide says nothing and I'm not sure what other resource might be helpful.
    It's just steep. Probably a lot of rock steps. It's been a while since I last did that section, but I don't remember anything too crazy. The climbs out of the notches are the ones which are insane.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    At 800 miles in, I believe at this point it has become a contest of wills.
    I know the AT will eventually win, but I plan to give it a hell of a fight.
    The AT being the immovable object and you being the irresistible force, the irresistible force can take a while but over time champions over the immovable object. Attitude, Ability, and Ambition are difficult foes, even for immovable objects.

  17. #17

    Default

    First frost predicted up north tonight. Ice on shady sections starts to factor into hikes.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    First frost predicted up north tonight. Ice on shady sections starts to factor into hikes.
    How far north? I'm hoping the hikes I'm doing this weekend won't be too effected.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

  19. #19

    Default

    Its a crap shot. It usually starts up high on the summits and down low in the river valleys in Coos county. It usually melts quick once the sun is up. Beaver Brook trail is one of them that takes a while to melt out in the AM as it faces north.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    The AT being the immovable object and you being the irresistible force, the irresistible force can take a while but over time champions over the immovable object. Attitude, Ability, and Ambition are difficult foes, even for immovable objects.
    I feel far from an irresistible force (just stubborn and sometimes stupid). Perhaps I should renew my AAA membership!

    Thank you for the encouragement!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •