WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Springer MTN to NC Border - Nov. 7-14th or 14th-24

Looking for some buddies to hike with on my first 25+ mile section. Or I don't mind hiking alone if anyone would be interested in a car swap (not sure if there is another term for this, but meet up halfway on the hike, swap keys, meet up halfway on the drive, swap back). I'm planning for a week. I have two chunks in November 2021 that work best for me. Either the second week or leading up to Thanksgiving.

Please let me know if you're interested! Or if you know anyone interested. I'm 27 and relatively new to planning backpacking trips/solo backpacking, though I've been on quite a few with parents/family/friends. I have never hiked more than 4-5 days at a time so this would likely be my longest hike. Planning for an average of 10mi/day (about a 75 mi section).

Also any thoughts/advice on this particular section would be greatly appreciated, as well.

Seeing that you are from Florida, I wonder if you know how cold it is going to be at that time of year in the mountains of NC at night? Are you prepared for freezing cold temps with wind? I say this because I do sleep cold, but my first trip was early Nov. to Springer, and although the daytime temps were pleasant, and hiking was really nice as long as we were moving, the night temps were (to me) pretty miserable and we came home early. I had not really thought the temp differences would be that great, but the mountain elevation did make a difference, and since you are in FL, you might want to re-think this unless you have slept outside, in Nov, in the mountains. That section is also more difficult than you might know, for a first time hiker on the AT.

The first opportunity to get off trail once you cross into NC is Deep Gap. It is not easy to get to (rough gravel road) and is also time-consuming to get to. I’ve driven up there multiple times in a sedan so it’s certainly do-able, but just something to keep in mind. If there’s snow (unlikely but possible), the road could be impassible. I get the allure of wanting to knock out a whole state so you may want to consider going a bit further if that matters to you, or potentially stopping short if it doesn’t matter to you. You could also veer off the AT at Deep Gap and take the Kimsey Creek Trail to Standing Indian campground. Again, Deep Gap is an option just something to be aware of.

++ New Posts ++