WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    I spent an entire summer working in Yellowstone and I saw something similar to the image Tipi posted more days than not.
    Buffalo blocking the road is pretty common.

Were there a lot of cars in the roughly equal wilderness areas bordering the park?

(I'll give you a hint, it's a rhetorical question.)
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Buffalo blocking the road is pretty common.

Were there a lot of cars in the roughly equal wilderness areas bordering the park?

(I'll give you a hint, it's a rhetorical question.)
    Not sure what that has to do with my comments. Scenes like that struck me as “ok, this is just wrong” when I worked there 7 years ago and it still strikes me the same way. Of course that’s not happening in 99% of roads bordering wilderness areas and in parks themselves.. Doesn’t make it any more acceptable where it is happening, IMO.

Images

Wait - Which one was the bear???
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    Not sure what that has to do with my comments. Scenes like that struck me as “ok, this is just wrong” when I worked there 7 years ago and it still strikes me the same way. Of course that’s not happening in 99% of roads bordering wilderness areas and in parks themselves.. Doesn’t make it any more acceptable where it is happening, IMO.
    I'm struggling to see what point you (and TW) are trying to make when the scene is a traffic jam caused by a group of migratory and rather large land animals blocking the road. TW is saying there are too many roads, actually he just wants all the roads closed. Which is generally his immediate response to "tourist" and "national park". Doesn't matter what the particular actual topic is. Typically done in a TW style of somewhat humorous and somewhat offensive. Picking on tourists is a bit of a past time for some hikers but it's pretty much bigotry on his part.

Not that I am unaware that the big parks are busy places, but a scene of people stopped because buffalo are in the way, that's going to happen. This isn't a picture of people harassing an animal. It's not even a bear.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

I’m a local resident of the GYES (Greater Yellowstone Eco System). My parents both worked in the Park in the 40’s and 50’s. There has always been an enormous amount of silly behavior in the Park associated with wildlife and the Park’s geological features. The Park is for all American’s, but my thinking is it’s being loved-to-death, and really a pass system that limits Park traffic should be enacted.

I live here, but most Americans live in urban settings with little or no meaningful interaction with the raw reality of nature and it’s wild creatures. Their reference to anything remotely wild is the squirrel in the backyard. They just don’t get how violent nature can be.

Having said all that, this woman got off lightly… she needed to have an example made of her to help other urbanites get it through their skulls these are wild animals that can kill you quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by BradMT View Post
    I’m a local resident of the GYES (Greater Yellowstone Eco System). My parents both worked in the Park in the 40’s and 50’s. There has always been an enormous amount of silly behavior in the Park associated with wildlife and the Park’s geological features. The Park is for all American’s, but my thinking is it’s being loved-to-death, and really a pass system that limits Park traffic should be enacted.

I live here, but most Americans live in urban settings with little or no meaningful interaction with the raw reality of nature and it’s wild creatures. Their reference to anything remotely wild is the squirrel in the backyard. They just don’t get how violent nature can be.

Having said all that, this woman got off lightly… she needed to have an example made of her to help other urbanites get it through their skulls these are wild animals that can kill you quickly.
    Thanks for the highlighted words. You said what I tried to say.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++