WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 3 Generations of Trail Pro Pads

Thermarest makes these pads and Trail Pros are my current backpacking sleeping pad both for comfort and high Rvalue at 4R for 1st/2nd generation and 4.4R for third generation. Showing these pics is also a study in Thermarest/Cascade Design's policy of discontinuing models and replacing with new---adding to the confusion for new buyers etc (and old buyers too).

Trail Pro (3).JPG
    First gen. on left, second in middle and latest config on right. All called Trail Pro.

Trail Pro (2).JPG
    Another pic. Sorry for the dirt on the two mats on the right---heavily used. Sadly, Thermarest discontinued 1st and 2nd gen. pads so don't get used to any one model.

Trail Pro (10).JPG
    Of course my first Trail Pro blew a gasket and produces a Delamination bubble so common with Thermarest pads after heavy use.

Trail Pro (6).JPG
    Third gen. has a new valve feature called the Wing Lock. It's weird but it just might work for the long haul. Or not.

I broke down and bought one of the yellow ones with the wing lock thing this year, it really makes it deflate super fast, and the one-way valve during inflation is handy.

I don't think I'd trust it if it started to delaminate though, probably just call it EOL at that point and get another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycat View Post
    I broke down and bought one of the yellow ones with the wing lock thing this year, it really makes it deflate super fast, and the one-way valve during inflation is handy.

I don't think I'd trust it if it started to delaminate though, probably just call it EOL at that point and get another one.
    I've spent about 5 nights in the backyard on my wing-lock model (3rd gen) and still learning about inflate/deflate tricks for upcoming trip.

I've always found that deflating my sleeping pad is a good way to get me up and moving for the day when it is cold and I don't want to leave the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycat View Post
    I've always found that deflating my sleeping pad is a good way to get me up and moving for the day when it is cold and I don't want to leave the bag.
    It's a time honored technique---wake up but stay supine, reach back and unscrew the air valve, let body weight deflate the pad, close valve and get up to start the day with the pad mostly deflated for easier pack up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    It's a time honored technique---wake up but stay supine, reach back and unscrew the air valve, let body weight deflate the pad, close valve and get up to start the day with the pad mostly deflated for easier pack up.

It's kind of how like when you go swimming you get to the halfway point where you just have to go for it and submerge yourself. No half measures allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    It's a time honored technique---wake up but stay supine, reach back and unscrew the air valve, let body weight deflate the pad, ...
    Exatly the way I'm doing it.
    The hard thing is to find the right point to start this routine.
    There's always two selfs fighting, the ambitious one eager to get going in the early dawn, the lazy one cuddly in the bag trying to sleep in.
    Finally the bladder decides the outcome of battle.

To your original statement:
    True, Thermarest seems to never stay put with any design or choice of material.
    Over the years, I've bought/used a total of ~20 Thermarest pads (that includes the many replacements) and not two of those were exactly the same.

++ New Posts ++