WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Gossamer Gear LT3 pole repair?

I snapped one of my beloved GG LT3 poles in the middle, not by hiking, but by having it under a large gear box in the van. Any suggestions on repairs. It is a straight clean break. My thought is a short (3"?) piece of tubing, ideally also carbon fiber that would fit snugly inside and Gorilla
    Glue. It does not need to be aesthetically perfect. Any suggestions?

If you can provide a precise inside diameter using a good micrometer, I might have some CF tube you could use to splice inside the damaged section. I have scraps of 9, 11 and 13mm that might work.

I'd use JB weld (Kwik) to make the splice... Gorilla glue will crystallize and fail in short order. I'd make the splice about 100mm (~ 4") long to better distribute the stress.

You're lucky the break is in the middle... much harder or impossible if down near the tip.

Thanks, cmoulder. It looks like 12mm would be a very snug fit, so your 11mm may work, possibly with a bit of wrapping. Which JB Weld do you suggest?

PM with address and I'll send some of the 11mm.

Both JB Weld or Kwik (fast setting) would work fine, although Kwik is reallyquick! and you've got to have all your bits ready to assemble and not make any boo-boos. Whether using Weld or Kwik, however, it's best to let them sit about 24 hours for best bond.

Your tubes arrived today. Thanks cmoulder. You are very generous!

The 11mm is a bit sloppy inside the snapped piece. Any suggestions on what I could wrap it with before applying the JB Weld? Or applying the JB Weld before and after the wrap?

Quote Originally Posted by strawbale View Post
    Your tubes arrived today. Thanks cmoulder. You are very generous!

The 11mm is a bit sloppy inside the snapped piece. Any suggestions on what I could wrap it with before applying the JB Weld? Or applying the JB Weld before and after the wrap?
    You might try some fiberglass cloth, but in fact any sort of cloth might work because once the JB Weld permeates it and hardens it probably doesn't matter. Just be sure to have some rubbing alcohol and paper towels on hand for clean-up.

CMoulder, this an overdue big THANK YOU for sending the two(!) short CF tubes. I did the repair with JB Kwik and fiberglass cloth and it is holding up well. Here is a pic from Saturday's hike on the Three Guns Spring Trail just east of Albuquerque.

Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 4.43.14 PM.jpg

Glad it worked out for you — many happy hikes!

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Glad it worked out for you — many happy hikes!
    Thanks much!

++ New Posts ++