WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana At the 80% completed mark in my AT Section Hike

With a hike in NY/NJ, and one in Southern Vermont finished this fall, I've hit the 80% mark on my AT section hike. Lost 2020 and Spring 2021 to COVID concerns, but got back to it this fall. I was a bit concerned that my main partner had finished his section hike, but have found several others to assist with logistics and company.

It's taken a mere 39 years. In reality, I only decided to section hike the whole trail in 2006, but had completed a couple of hundred miles already. Planning to finish to the White Mountains (mostly the Hudson River to North Adams, MA) in 2022, and from the Whites north in a single trip in 2023.

Congrats!!! Covid was hard to work around for sure, cost me a lot of money to play by the rules.

You have some great miles between the Hudson and North Adams. Really some of my favorite trail.

I'm sure you know but if you don't, the old adage of cut your miles in half for NH and southern ME is very true.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I'm sure you know but if you don't, the old adage of cut your miles in half for NH and southern ME is very true.
    My friend who finished in 2019 calls this “mile an hour” territory, and the Whites even slower.

Images

Congrats! Just passed 70% last week myself (Springer to I-90/Lee, MA). I agree with Gambit, CT and MA are some very nice trail miles (though probably nicer if it wasn't so wet).
    It's all good in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    My friend who finished in 2019 calls this “mile an hour” territory, and the Whites even slower.
    Very accurate. And very humbling.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    Congrats! Just passed 70% last week myself (Springer to I-90/Lee, MA). I agree with Gambit, CT and MA are some very nice trail miles (though probably nicer if it wasn't so wet).
    Congratulations! I’ve hopped around a bit. The only state I have zero miles in is Connecticut.

Southern Vermont was soppingly muddy. I can’t imagine how bad it would have been if we had done it on our original dates after Hurricane Henri in August.

Yes, humbling was the word for the Mahoosucs.

Great job! Keep at it. You have some of the toughest but most scenic and satisfying miles ahead. I was told that if I could afford it, I should go hut to hut through the Whites. I did and it was worth it. The calories from the large breakfasts and suppers really helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    +1 to this!! I just finally made it out of the whites, going southbound. And it's been 200+ miles (including Southern Maine) where I've averaged about 1mph. I absolutely can not WAIT to get into Vermont and open back up again!!🥵

++ New Posts ++