Default Mileage per day?

I know. This is going to vary. But this is a fairly flat route right? Different challenges though than from the AT - muddy, swampy, etc?

How many miles per day do "people average?" on this trail? Looking for planning numbers.

I know. I have to get out and hike it. Looking at doing at least parts of it beginning in Dec or so.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

This is, of course, the vexed question for every trail: how many miles per day can you walk? The Florida Trail is, indeed, much flatter than a lot of others, but it does have things that will slow you down for other reasons. Take a look at this Youtube series by Dixie on her Florida Trail thru-hike. It will perhaps give you a better idea of what to expect and plan for in terms of making miles.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Not counting zero days I averaged 16 MPD on my hike. I had several 20+ days and couple days of around 10.

Most hikers are capable, with practice of 20-30 mpd, but as a practical matter we do a lot less especially as you get older and are no longer in childish love with your ability to go fast. After many decades of hiking, we value enjoyment more than raw miles. 10-12 avg on the fairly hard trails that we hike (now in our 60's).

I'm in my early 60s, my typical backpacking distance on the AT is 10-13 miles a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    I'm in my early 60s, my typical backpacking distance on the AT is 10-13 miles a day.
    I was asking this for the Florida Trail. Have you hiked that? Having a comparison between the 2 trails could be useful.

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Depending on where you start and your physical condition you can crank out some miles. 15 plus is it for me. December it will be dark around 6ish, so early start. Submerged trail is a factor, it will slow you down. Hopefully the weather will cool off by then. Still nice and warm now. The biggest thing for me is the boredom. Nothing changes, no vistas, no payoff, just sand, scrubs, trees over and over. Some people are OK with it, and we still go out in it, but like I tell people, walk 200 meters on the Florida Trail, you have seen it all. I would though suggest the Ocala leg, 70 miles or so.
    I dont know if you are aware of this but you need a permit for Big Cypress Swamp/ Seminole Res, Eglin AFB and St Marks NWR. Oh and maps or a good app because there are not orange blazes everywhere. You should join the Florida Trail Association if you're planned route takes you through private land so you wont get hassled as being an unauthorized hunter.
    Maybe a little more info than you needed, but hope it helps.

https://floridatrail.org/wp-content/...uide-v10.1.pdf
    Last edited by slowdive; 10-24-2021 at 23:52. Reason: spelling

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Most hikers are capable, with practice of 20-30 mpd, but as a practical matter we do a lot less especially as you get older and are no longer in childish love with your ability to go fast. After many decades of hiking, we value enjoyment more than raw miles. 10-12 avg on the fairly hard trails that we hike (now in our 60's).
    Off topic a bit, but you're writing as if you're speaking for all seniors. I was once admonished on the trail to slow down and enjoy myself, and my response was "What on earth makes you think I'm not enjoying myself?" I'll hike hard as long as my body permits, that's what I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by slowdive View Post
    Depending on where you start and your physical condition you can crank out some miles. 15 plus is it for me. December it will be dark around 6ish, so early start. Submerged trail is a factor, it will slow you down. Hopefully the weather will cool off by then. Still nice and warm now. The biggest thing for me is the boredom. Nothing changes, no vistas, no payoff, just sand, scrubs, trees over and over. Some people are OK with it, and we still go out in it, but like I tell people, walk 200 meters on the Florida Trail, you have seen it all. I would though suggest the Ocala leg, 70 miles or so.
    I dont know if you are aware of this but you need a permit for Big Cypress Swamp/ Seminole Res, Eglin AFB and St Marks NWR. Oh and maps or a good app because there are not orange blazes everywhere. You should join the Florida Trail Association if you're planned route takes you through private land so you wont get hassled as being an unauthorized hunter.
    Maybe a little more info than you needed, but hope it helps.

https://floridatrail.org/wp-content/...uide-v10.1.pdf

Already have ordered the maps and book from FTA. I knew about the permits but never bad to remind. I also appreciate the recommendation of the section. I will probably do a section or 2 this winter and possibly a thru next year.

Quote Originally Posted by One Half View Post
    Already have ordered the maps and book from FTA. I knew about the permits but never bad to remind. I also appreciate the recommendation of the section. I will probably do a section or 2 this winter and possibly a thru next year.
    What part of Florida are you going to be based out of, or, are you just going to wing it?
    " 6 bucks and my left nut says we're not going to be landing in Chicago" Del Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by slowdive View Post
    What part of Florida are you going to be based out of, or, are you just going to wing it?
    Mayo, FL for starters

Quote Originally Posted by One Half View Post
    I know. This is going to vary. But this is a fairly flat route right? Different challenges though than from the AT - muddy, swampy, etc?

How many miles per day do "people average?" on this trail? Looking for planning numbers.

I know. I have to get out and hike it. Looking at doing at least parts of it beginning in Dec or so.
    I just finished the FT in September. I hiked all summer (a Sun-Walker) and SOBO. All though you can't get as many miles per day, here's how I figured my mileage. I keeped the mileage low for the first week or so and had lot protein. After that I found alot campsites uselly around 7 miles and 10 to 14 miles on next. There's also a 18 miles at the reservation and two lower mileage days at Big Cypress. So plan for average of 10 to 14 per day and uselly around one longer milage day around once a week or so, because of no campsite areas or sketchy areas.

++ New Posts ++