WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Mahoosuc Shortie?

Hey All,

I want to do a 2 to 3-night Mahoosuc trek that hits as many highlights as possible. I plan to start in Grafton Notch, but not sure where I want to exit. Carlo Col Trail, Wright Trail, or something else? Thanks

When do you want to do this? Right now is a bad time, winter conditions are approaching fast and little daylight to do the hard, slow miles in.

This is a very rugged section of trail, so the going is slow at the best of times. Shelter to shelter is about the best most people can do. You don't want to do the Wright trail, that's a long way to nowhere on a poorly maintained trail. The only real option is one of the side trails down to the Success loop road. It's dirt road and it takes an hour to drive from the paved road in Berlin to the Carlo Col / Goose eye trailhead, a distance of only 8 miles!

Personally, I would go for the south end, starting on Rt 2 in Shelburne and end at Carlo Col. If your last night is at Carlo Col, it's worth climbing back up to the ridge and going up and over Goose eye and back down from there. The trial will come out in the same place as going down from Carlo. This is still a rugged section, but easier then then northern end. There is some traffic on the Success loop road, so it should be possible to hitch back into Berlin, but it might take a while. Or you could luck out and have the next car come by take you back to Shelburne, like what once happed to me and my buddy.

The other option is to do the Grafton notch loop, the east side could be done in 3 nights, the west side in 2. That's a nice hike, also up there on the difficulty scale.

How do you plan to get here? Fly to Boston and rent a car or take the bus and rely on shuttles?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It's dirt road and it takes an hour to drive from the paved road in Berlin to the Carlo Col / Goose eye trailhead, a distance of only 8 miles!
    At that rate, it might be easier to just plan an extra part day and hike out to the paved road?

Ok, sorry but I forgot to provide some details. I plan to do this sometime in September 2022. My wife will drop me and pick me up. If Success Pond road is too rugged, she may freak out about it, so that's a consideration. I do not want to miss Mahoosuc Notch - it's really my whole point in going. I'm just trying to work out the details around it. Thanks

A frequently overlooked option is the Wright trail as an exit. Get dropped off at trailhead by shuttle then hike up Goose Eye, then head over to Full Goose Shelter, the next day head thru Mahoosuc Notch and then camp at the tail end of the notch just before the turn up Mahoosuc Arm. Next day hike up Mahoosuc Arm over to Speck and down to RT 26. Most of the shuttles are based south of the AT so its much shorter shuttle using the Wright trail and Grafton Notch.

As noted the weather has turned. The leaves on the trees are now on the ground and treacherous as they cover ankle twisters. Temp can get below freezing during the night and day time temps may be in the 50s.

Success pond road was actually in pretty good shape this year, but 10 MPH is still about the fastest you want to go. Look out for locals in pickup trucks who don't care.

Mahoosuc notch is a trip. The climb up Old Speck (a 4000 footer) is a tough one for the first day out and loaded with food. Coming down the steep ledges on the south side can be a bit scary, hope it's dry! The decent off South arm down to the Notch is "interesting". You'll do much of it sliding on your butt. Good idea to camp at the north end of the notch. I think the fastest I did that mile was 4 hours, then you got another steep climb to get to the Goose eye shelter. Coming down off of Goose eye is another "not for the faint of heart", as you step off the cliff and then have to navigate a set of re-barb "staple" ladders to get down the face of the cliff. It's easier to go up that with a pack then it is to go down it with a pack. After that, your pretty much home free, just don't slip off any of the bog puncheons, as you can sink up to your knees in the mud and have a heck of a time getting back out. Yet there are still a few "how do they expect me go to go down (or up) that!" along the way to Carlo Col. But because of all that, this is an exciting section of trail. Have fun and good luck!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++