WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Backpacking Weight Double Wall 2P Tent

Looking for a two person double wall tent that weighs less than three pounds and costs less than $300.
    Thanks!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Aren't you familiar with the old back packing gear adage:
    1. High Quality,
    2. Low Weight,
    3. Low Price...
    Pick two

And when it comes to camping equipment, I'm not interested in cheap crap.
    So that only leaves balancing "Low Weight" with "Low Price".

So for "quality" gear, I don't think you're going to come anywhere close to 3lb and $300
    Big Agnes: Copper Spur UL2: 3lb 2oz @ $450 {Hit's the weight but not the price}
    Big Agnes: Salt Creek SL2: 4lb 1oz @ $300 {Hit's the price but not the weight}
    You simply can't buy UL gear as SL prices.

The closest thing I think might hit your mark is the REI Flash Air 2 Tent
    It's 2lb8oz @$300.
    BUT - It's technically listed as Single Wall - Not Free Standing
    It's basically their version of a Tarptent (tarp covering a bug net)

I would suggest you look at TarpTent.com... but everything they produce in the $300 price range looks to currently be out of stock

If "cheap" gear doesn't bother you... I know I've heard of Chinese knock-offs of things like the Copper Spur.
    Can't name any product or place to search, but the concept, from what I've heard, is that the plans used by companies that manufacturing tents like the Copper Spur for Big Agnes are getting "reused after hours" shall we say, to build similar tents with cheaper materials.

Your choices increase greatly if each of the 2P in the 2P tent can carry up to 3 lbs of tent.

Thanks for the responses. While advice is always appreciated that wasn't the purpose of my post. There are several sub three pound options on the market actually. I'm merely looking for a gently used one in hopes of saving a few bucks. I have a Lunar Duo that I'll probably jettison soon and considered taking advantage of a very well priced Double Rainbow on here but decided that for various reasons my sweetie and I would be better served by a double wall tent, so I've ordered a Gossamer Gear tarp for solo trips and would now like to acquire something like the Quarter Dome SL2, which clocks in at just under three pounds, for a little less than MSRP, which is $349.

Also keep in mind that 2P tents these days are more like 1.5P

Maybe OK with your Sweetie but maybe not so good with your large-ish buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Also keep in mind that 2P tents these days are more like 1.5P

That's generally true for UL tents, but not all others.
    I converted a large (37.5 sf) heavy-ish (7 lbs) double-wall, 2P frontcountry tent to one passable for backcountry use by replacing the fiberglass poles with aluminum. Saved 1.6 lbs, net.
    Robust with 70d floor and 68d fly, but per square foot of floorspace, it is only 2% heavier than my trekking pole supported Sierra Designs 1P tent. I guess some economies of scale apply, because I'm pretty sure the SD tent is not that high of a denier.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    That's generally true for UL tents, but not all others.
    I converted a large (37.5 sf) heavy-ish (7 lbs) double-wall, 2P frontcountry tent to one passable for backcountry use by replacing the fiberglass poles with aluminum. Saved 1.6 lbs, net.
    Robust with 70d floor and 68d fly, but per square foot of floorspace, it is only 2% heavier than my trekking pole supported Sierra Designs 1P tent. I guess some economies of scale apply, because I'm pretty sure the SD tent is not that high of a denier.
    True, but OP is asking about <3lb...

Typical is something like BA Copper spur 2P, listed @3lb2oz @29 sq ft.... 29 square feet is tight for 2 average guys. (Out of OP budget as well.) BUT 2 vestibules and side entry help a lot. And if its weight is actually split between 2 people, not too bad.

To meet OP parameters it's probably going to have to be some sort of knock-off on Amazon.

Images

If you can afford to wait, I suggest waiting until REI does one of their big sales. Usually they have them during Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends and even pricey items like tents are at least 20% off.

I bought my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 (2 lb 10oz I think) for $240 during their Memorial Day sale a few years ago. I've never actually tried to fit two people in it - but it has enough space to hold all my gear on a backpacking trip.
    It's all good in the woods.

Default Backpacking Weight Double Wall 2P Tent

MSR is releasing lighter versions of the Hubba series in January. media release says they will cut up to 14 oz. in weight.

If you are willing to bend on low weight, you can get the Kelty Late Start. I have the Salida 2, the predecessor for easier 2-person trips. A bit over 4lbs, so 2+ lb. per person, and available for $160.

For more serious 2-person, my buddy has the TarpTent StratoSpire Li, but that is definitely above your budget.
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

Dan Durston's Xmid P2 might be a good option except they are sold out. More are on their way, but are likely to sell quickly when the ship comes in.

https://backpackinglight.com/durston-x-mid-2p-review/

++ New Posts ++