Good morning everyone. First let me introduce myself in my first post on the forum. My name is Kevin and I am going to be a 2022 LASH on the AT. This will be my attempt at fulfilling a 50 year old dream, guess its about time
Of course all plans change or adapt but I will attempt to finish in 3 years.
I have already answered many questions by lurking on the forum but I have one issue/question that I am having trouble wrapping my head around.
In general, how tough is it or maybe i should say how much planning is required to get off trail and into town?
I understand there are a million variables to answer this but let me give you a scenario. i will of course have hostels and shuttles pre-planned and reserved ahead of time for places I want to see but if I am out and get rained on and want to pop into town "off schedule" for a respite from the weather is it possible or are these places filled up months in advance?
I appreciate your time, kev
I have done youtube and forum research but haven't dived into the many trail town books/guides, maybe my answers are there, but can you give me an idea of how spontaneous a hiker can be.
Maybe i will ask this way.......in general is it hard to get into town, walking/hitching, and is it tough to find a hostel/motel without reservations?

I sure hope this makes sense. Just trying to wrap my head around the options when things go against the best laid plans.