WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Cool Nimblewill Nomad, by Associated Press

https://apnews.com/article/lifestyle...69c68629e20a8f

Not a bad article, tho it feels weird that they refer to him by his "real" name throughout the article.

Nice photos...
    nimblewill.jpeg

Default 'Nimblewill Nomad,' 83, is oldest to hike Appalachian Trail

When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

Met him in GA this year on the Pinhoti, Very nice guy!
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

There was a piece on him this morning on the news. Awesome guy, should be an inspiration to all.
    " 6 bucks and my left nut says we're not going to be landing in Chicago" Del Griffith

So this would be the oldest person to do a thru hike of the AT. Would there be another record for the older person to have completed a section hike (with the first section started when older than '83)?

This is so cool good for him ,congrats sir!
    He says he has a few "skid marks " from falling.
    A typical 83 year old leaves more than "skid marks " every day.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I'll get started on that in 2036!

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

A wonderful man. I happened upon him, Odie, and Kitchen Sink at the Glencliff Hostel in Sept. He was my savior for the second of the three falls I took that day:

I was aching from my recent face-plant, cold and wet when I hobbled my way down the road from the Glencliff Trailhead to the Hostel. As I got close, I could see the hostel's minivan loading up and Odie (whom I had met at Gooch Gap on day one of his annual AT tour in May) climbing in. I called ahead and asked them to wait up for me (so I could get my pre-arranged ride to my car). Odie scooted into the way back to make room, and as I climbed in I had the very happy surprise of seeing the other two passengers: Kitchen Sink whom I'd met and spent some time with in Hot Springs in May, and the famous Nimblewill Nomad! I knew nothing about his current trek so had no anticipation of this meeting, but there was no introduction needed for this legend!

Later in the evening, weak and shivering from still being in my wet clothes, I headed for the outdoor changing room to finally get dried off and hopefully warm. Just pulling the curtain closed I knocked myself off balance and off the edge of the pallet floor and performed a no-doubt graceful wall-to-post-to-dirt dive. All came running, which was both heart-warming and embarrassing. As arms reached out to pull me up, Nimblewill shouted and shooed them all way: "Let her get up on her own! Leave her be! " For this, I was even more grateful than for the offers of help. I needed to "feel-out" for injuries, etc., and he understood that. The others immediately backed off and actually disappeared (who would argue with the Nomad?). I thanked him, and chuckled about how I would figure out how to get up when he came in close...very close...and I was afraid he might offer me help. (I outweigh him considerably and this concerned me.) BUT instead, he leaned over to whisper in my ear "at least you were still dressed."

I fell in love with the man in that moment.

Later, after we'd been around the campfire and I knew I'd have to head home rather than stay the night with this delightful group, I went to the hostel where Nimblewill had retreated for warmth and rest, to say goodbye. We had a short but lovely chat about his quest and some of the hardships he'd faced. I thanked him again for helping me and he lamented "they don't understand...the young hikers....that you can just lose your balance and fall. I'm going to be 83 soon, and it happens a lot." Yes, it does.

A hug and a kiss and best wishes later, I headed to the fire ring for final good byes (and to be saved from my third fall into the fire ring by Odie).

SO....this is not meant to be my story, but my attempt to convey what a wonderful, funny, gentle, and kind man is "Sunny" aka the legend Nimblewill Nomad.
    I can't congratulate him enough.
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 11-14-2021 at 17:27.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Congratulations Nimblewill Nomad. I hope to beat your record in 18 more years, but I have to live that long first! I just got a copy of his book, Ten Million Steps, What a great read. See you down the trail.

++ New Posts ++