WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Compression Socks

Hi

On my last two hikes, I've had issues with my feet swelling, resulting in some painful sores on my feet. I changed my diet, lost more weight, elevated my feet each night, cried, etc. Nothing reduced the swelling except not hiking. It usually took about 2-3 days into the hikes before the swelling began.

I've heard/seen some discussion about compression socks when hiking and wondered if anyone here has used them with positive effects? If so, what is your favorite brand and are there any heads-ups I should take into consideration when selecting a pair?

I appreciate your insight and feedback.

Thank you
    Ellie

FWIW, any chance you have been put on statins for cholesterol recently? For many its a wonder drug but for a large minority there are side effects that need to be balanced out with the long term benefits. One definite side effect is edema of the feet. My feet used to swell up after a day hike and the next day it would feel like someone had been pounding on the soles of my feet. I would have to swap to a one sized larger boot for the next two days. Other side effects got me off statins and the foot problems went away.

No statins yet. Thanks!

Images

I for one just began using compression socks for the sole reason it provides better blood flow throughout my lower legs. Yes, I do take statins, been taking statins for 20 years.
    I know many people in my profession where standing for long periods of time is what we do that wear compression socks for better circulation. When buying purchase ones that are a quick dry polyester spandex, but not cotton.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Got it - thanks!

I would add that you may need to see a cardiologist for a check-up and tell him/her about the edema in your legs and feet. This could be a cardiac problem, or . . . just a hiker problem that socks could help. Either way, you don't want to find out too late that it's a cardiac problem out on the trail.

++ New Posts ++