WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Gravelstand Top and Basin Lead Trails in Bald River Backcountry (TN)

C5C538BA-6380-4301-B235-F4456F34C5D7.jpg

Does anyone know the status of the Gravelstand Top Trail, Basin Lead Trail, and the “trail” (road?) that connects the two? Do they still exist?

Trails are in the Bald River backcountry in TN.

I’ve circled the area I’m talking about on a map..Thanks.

Basin Lead trail leaves Basin Gap on Bald River/Holly Flats road and heads north to Tellico River where there used to be a footbridge but it got washed out so the trail isn't maintained much tho still follow-able.

This map shows Basin Lead trail heading north to Tellico River and the top red line is the old trail going to the washed out footbridge. The new option in red loops around to a forest road going to Miller Cemetery etc. The Gravelstand motorcycle trail in yellow doesn't really have a south trailhead unless it's the one I see going straight up the mountain side. Very steep.

Here's a pic of Basin Gap on Bald River road 126. Basin Lead trail is visible in upper right.

You can see Basin Lead trailpost in this pic. I've backpacked Basin Lead 20 years ago and then more recently backpacked it several hundred yards up and camped right on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Basin Lead trail leaves Basin Gap on Bald River/Holly Flats road and heads north to Tellico River where there used to be a footbridge but it got washed out so the trail isn't maintained much tho still follow-able.

This map shows Basin Lead trail heading north to Tellico River and the top red line is the old trail going to the washed out footbridge. The new option in red loops around to a forest road going to Miller Cemetery etc. The Gravelstand motorcycle trail in yellow doesn't really have a south trailhead unless it's the one I see going straight up the mountain side. Very steep.

Here's a pic of Basin Gap on Bald River road 126. Basin Lead trail is visible in upper right.

You can see Basin Lead trailpost in this pic. I've backpacked Basin Lead 20 years ago and then more recently backpacked it several hundred yards up and camped right on the trail.
    Just the man I was hoping to hear from. Thanks, Tipi.

Planning a 3 day trip in the area next month..Deciding whether or not to include these in my itinerary. Will report back if I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    Just the man I was hoping to hear from. Thanks, Tipi.

Planning a 3 day trip in the area next month..Deciding whether or not to include these in my itinerary. Will report back if I do.
    I wouldn't bother with these trails when you have loop opportunities with---

Bald River trail
    Cow Camp/Henderson Top trails
    FS Logging Roads 40832/40921 which connects Henderson Top to Sugar Mt and the BMT above Brookshire Creek trail.

Brookshire trail
    Kirkland trail
    State Line Ridge

Six Mile Gap up manway to Waucheesi Bald and down to Warrior's Passage to Wildcat Creek etc.

I wouldn't bother with these trails when you have loop opportunities with---

Bald River trail
    Cow Camp/Henderson Top trails
    FS Logging Roads 40832/40921 which connects Henderson Top to Sugar Mt and the BMT above Brookshire Creek trail.

Brookshire trail
    Kirkland trail
    State Line Ridge

Six Mile Gap up manway to Waucheesi Bald and down to Warrior's Passage to Wildcat Creek etc.
    This is my current plan:
    Bald River Trail
    Henderson Mountain Trail
    FS 40832/40921
    BMT
    Brookshire
    Kirkland Creek
    BMT
    Waucheesi Manway/road
    Warriors Passage thru hike and back to Mule Pen Gap
    manway to Basin Gap
    road
    Bald River Trail up and out

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    This is my current plan:
    Bald River Trail
    Henderson Mountain Trail
    FS 40832/40921
    BMT
    Brookshire
    Kirkland Creek
    BMT
    Waucheesi Manway/road
    Warriors Passage thru hike and back to Mule Pen Gap
    manway to Basin Gap
    road
    Bald River Trail up and out
    This is a good route. Henderson Top trail will zap you when you see one particular nasty pitch going straight up in front of you. The ribboned trail was put in my the FS for a prescribed burn---but the actual original trail bears to the right up the hill and switchbacks left near the top of the ridge and meets up with the hell nut eventually.

And just before reaching the gap before this climb there's an "illegal" manway put in by the fire crew which drops down to your left and incredibly drops hard to water and eventually to Panther Branch trail and Tellico River's footbridge. Try to avoid this veer off if possible.

Going down Brookshire has one major crossing over Bald River and I assume you'll be roadwalking from Brookshire to Kirkland trailhead---which again starts immediately with another Bald River crossing---and then 10 Kirkland crossings up to Sandy Gap etc.

It's a great place.

Btw, Mule Pen Gap does have an old logging cut running east and climbs to Basin Gap. Saves you from humping all the way up to Waucheesi Mt road and back down to Basin Gap.

This is a good route. Henderson Top trail will zap you when you see one particular nasty pitch going straight up in front of you. The ribboned trail was put in my the FS for a prescribed burn---but the actual original trail bears to the right up the hill and switchbacks left near the top of the ridge and meets up with the hell nut eventually.

And just before reaching the gap before this climb there's an "illegal" manway put in by the fire crew which drops down to your left and incredibly drops hard to water and eventually to Panther Branch trail and Tellico River's footbridge. Try to avoid this veer off if possible.

Going down Brookshire has one major crossing over Bald River and I assume you'll be roadwalking from Brookshire to Kirkland trailhead---which again starts immediately with another Bald River crossing---and then 10 Kirkland crossings up to Sandy Gap etc.

It's a great place.
    That’s good info, thanks. Especially to look out for that new manway and avoid an accidental detour. May want to take that route another time.

Btw, Mule Pen Gap does have an old logging cut running east and climbs to Basin Gap. Saves you from humping all the way up to Waucheesi Mt road and back down to Basin Gap.
    I saw this in a fairly recent trip report of yours - already had it planned into my route.

++ New Posts ++