WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What are your favorite spots in GSMNP that aren't on the AT?

I'm planning a mid-April trip in Great Smoky Mountains NP. I originally thought of hiking the AT/BMT loop, but I've already hiked the AT through the park. Instead, I'd like to cover 150-170 miles, and see as many noteworthy things as possible. Backcountry and front country. Old, abandoned buildings, grand vistas, and spectacular waterfalls. So far, my list includes Gregory Bald, Abrams Falls, Cades Cove, Elkmont, Rainbow Falls, Mt Leconte, and Mt Sterling. What are some other can't miss places? Also, can I resupply out of Cades Cove?

Images

There is a campground store at Cades Cove campground. I haven't been in there is a long time but image it is geared toward picnic and front country campers. If you are doing the BMT your best bet might be to hitch into Cherokee for a resupply

The Lakeshore Trail/Hazel Creek Trail jct on the BMT fits the ticket. Shoot me a PM if you want more details. Sounds like an awesome trip.

Default What are your favorite spots in GSMNP that aren't on the AT?

the hardest part of your trip plan will be the permit, setting out what nights you will be where as site specific reservations are required, and I think there is a max number of days you can get on a permit. Park website has all that info.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mockernut View Post
    the hardest part of your trip plan will be the permit, setting out what nights you will be where as site specific reservations are required, and I think there is a max number of days you can get on a permit. Park website has all that info.
    If you exceed the max number of days, you can just pickup with another permit.
    The cost goes something like $4/night/person for upto 5 nights. Once you've paid that $20 for 5 nights, the 6th, 7th, and I think 8th are free. But if you want to stay longer, you have to start a second permit.

++ New Posts ++