WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagehead View Post
    It would be nice to quantify the parameters of materials.
    Parameters I thought of:

• dryining speed
    • strength to weight
    • abrasion
    • insulation to weight
    • UV (ultraviolet) resistance
    • SPF
    • ethics: harm to animals or humans
    • speed of biodegrading when composted
    • Does it shed long lived particles?
    • energy to produce
    • breathability

Environmental materials I heard of:

• rayon: There are many types and sources. Some are not environmental.
    • wool
    • cotton
    • hemp
    • flax
    If you consider under "ethics" the origin of raw materials and finished materials, and the plight of workers in the countries of manufacture, the answer to the question in the first post is "virtually zero."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    If you consider under "ethics" the origin of raw materials and finished materials, and the plight of workers in the countries of manufacture, the answer to the question in the first post is "virtually zero."
    Yep. Concern for the environment and the ethical implications of supporting, through purchases, certain industries isn't easily navigable. And honestly, I think some degree of it is more virtue signaling, as those of us who buy these products in the first place aren't going to truly change our overall lifestyles that have far greater negative impacts. We humans alter the environment to an incredible degree compared to any other species. When it comes to hiking, we cut trails, fly and drive to those trails, buy manufactured gear and clothing (of any material/fiber source) and heavily processed foods, etc. We live in a technological-industrial world, and I seriously doubt we will return to agrarian societies. The differences in the choices we make regarding hiking don't amount to a gnat's @$$ in the scope of the greater environmental impact we humans (especially us 1st world ones) in general have on the planet's environment or related ethics. If (less ethical?) nylon and down gear keeps you dry and warm so you don't need rescue, you'll save the much greater negative environmental impact of creating a backcountry rescue event. Sorry to be so blunt, but when it comes to ethics and environmental concerns, I think things like more efficient houses and vehicles, building materials, agrichemicals, etc., deserve my attention before I start spending my finite time going down the rabbit hole of ethics when it comes to choices of hiking clothing and gear.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++