WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Yeah, I find myself revolting sometimes, too.
    LOL I think we're all like that after about 3 long days of summer hiking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Well I soaked it in vinegar and it's almost like new! I didn't see any bubbles but the white crud dissolved.
    I'm going back to burning only Klean-strip fuel, using the Everclear/Heet with the Groove stove until it's all gone.
    The white crud is also on the inside walls of the stove.....interesting!

Images

It's on the bottom also... cruddy fuel mix? Moisture condensing and then drying out after stove is out????

I would guess the white cruddy build up is from the match heads being dissolved in the alcohol and distributed around the stove.

When I use my alcy stove, I dip a stick in alcohol, light the stick, and use that to light the stove - then blow the stick out.

I wish there were more heat exchanger pots on the market. So far it’s pretty much JetBoil/MSR stove/pot combo (tall and skinny and tough to cook in) or the larger and heavier Olicamp 1L.

I’d like to see more 0.6-0.8L similar to the Toaks pots out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    I would guess the white cruddy build up is from the match heads being dissolved in the alcohol and distributed around the stove.

When I use my alcy stove, I dip a stick in alcohol, light the stick, and use that to light the stove - then blow the stick out.
    Good point... I do throw a match in to light it so it definitely could be phosphorus.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I finally got around to cooking with my new system. I used 20 mL methanol to boil 150 grams of dry food in 2 cups water. Test was done outside on a cold (30 F) windy day. Food was just coming to boil at flame out. I didn't measure burn time, but I guess it was about 4 min. After 15 min in pot cozy food was well hydrated and still hot. Recipe included raw basmati rice which was fully cooked.

Images

That's some pretty good results on cold windy day.... and some really good edibles

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    That's some pretty good results on cold windy day.... and some really good edibles
    Thanks. It was a package of dehydrated tortilla soup mix, to which I added homemade dehydrated beef chorizo and rice.

I made some Mac and Cheese in my Stash/eCHS system. Came out ok, but during the boil I had a little trouble with boil over and despite continuous stirring it burned a bit. So I thought I'd try my old Starlyte stove for a low power option. This time I did my boil test a bit more rigorously. Ambient T was 48 F. Wind negligible. Two cups (473 g) water start temp was 68 F. Used 15.0 mL methanol (yellow HEET). Flame went out at about 7 min when temp got to 205 F. This was not the power or efficiency I had hoped for. I know from previous work that a Starlyte drops in power output at low fuel load. Had I loaded the stove, I probably would have gotten better results.

But as I had everything set up, I did a good test with the eCHS (all test parameters the same). Here I got to boil (212 F on the thermometer) at 3:45. Boil continued for 30 seconds to flame out at 4:15.

Maybe I'll check my pile of eCHS stoves for a lower power model.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    But as I had everything set up, I did a good test with the eCHS (all test parameters the same). Here I got to boil (212 F on the thermometer) at 3:45. Boil continued for 30 seconds to flame out at 4:15.

Maybe I'll check my pile of eCHS stoves for a lower power model.
    That's fast.....most folks nowadays are looking for fast fast fast. Fastlaners
    Most folks are going jetboils and other canister stoves. It's the trend. No stove even....oh my!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    That's fast.....most folks nowadays are looking for fast fast fast. Fastlaners
    Most folks are going jetboils and other canister stoves. It's the trend. No stove even....oh my!!!
    I'm not really interested in speed. I like cooking in my pot, rather than boiling water. I think that gives me more options. Also I had trouble with food burning withe power to boil in 4 min. Using the power of a 2 min boil would incinerate my food. That power would only be good for water.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I'm not really interested in speed. I like cooking in my pot, rather than boiling water. I think that gives me more options. Also I had trouble with food burning withe power to boil in 4 min. Using the power of a 2 min boil would incinerate my food. That power would only be good for water.
    That's why they call 'em "boilers"

Many people using freeze-dried food and cozies because, after a long day of walking, 2 steps is one step too many when it comes to grub. A couple of times I've wanted to bang my head against a tree for bringing one of those Packit Gourmet meals that had a little bag or 2 extra that required more preparation than anticipated. Seriously not fun when it's really cold and windy.

Made another lunch. 25 g of dried chicken, 40 g each of basmati rice, red lentils, and buckwheat, 5 g sesame seeds, salt, Madras curry, turmeric, cayenne, olive oil. Unlike the Mac and cheese, this didn't t burn during boil. All the dry food cooked up great. I liked it. Wife was not impressed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++