WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Unicoi to Deep Gap?? SOBO or NOBO which is less worse?

Hey all,

I have been section hiking GA and need to start or end at Unicoi to finish it up. I was looking at FarOut and it looks like the elevation is a little easier (still difficult) going SOBO from Deep Gap. Is one way preferable? I am a slow hiker and I know how difficult the previous miles have been. Just trying to not die on that section as I will be solo this time. Also, is there a place closer to the GA/NC border to get picked up other than Deep Gap, NC? Thanks for the help.

Deep Gap is your first option to get off trail in NC. You should be aware that Deep Gap is not a convenient place to get to and if there is winter weather in the area, could be impassible for most vehicles. I’ve driven up there in a sedan in the winter so it can be do-able, but it’s something to keep in mind.

I’ve hiked some of that stretch both NOBO and SOBO but I can’t recall one way seeming more difficult than the other, personally.

I have hiked this both directions and I would say there is less uphill going SOBO. Also, I know that in years past at least, the forest road to Deep Gap was gated in the winter leaving you a few miles short of the AT. Not sure about now.

If you just want to hit nc border you can double back to blue ridge gap and hike out via the road to meet a shuttle. I would call Donald Ballard, further shuttle, he will give you best options.

FS Rd 71 to Deep Gap should be closed for the winter now. An alternative to back tracking to Blue Ridge Gap would be the Kimsey Creek trail which will take you down to the Standing Indian campground. Dicks Creek to Deep Gap is next on our list (with a side trip to Hightower Bald) and that is our plan.

Quote Originally Posted by smkymtns View Post
    FS Rd 71 to Deep Gap should be closed for the winter now. An alternative to back tracking to Blue Ridge Gap would be the Kimsey Creek trail which will take you down to the Standing Indian campground. Dicks Creek to Deep Gap is next on our list (with a side trip to Hightower Bald) and that is our plan.
    Didn’t realize the road closed, I drove up in in Dec. but according to the FS website you are correct! Closed Jan - March.

My bad OP, disregard! I’ve also done the Kimsey Creek Trail and second the above recommendation.

++ New Posts ++