WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by pslates View Post
    I also wonder about doing the presidentials by doing the AT south from joe dodge lodge to simply avoid one bus ride and finishing at highlands center area. Would the hike up to Madison from the north be more interesting and worth the bus ride.

I am in the mood to at least book my flight very soon then plan my exact route and stays currently looking to arrive Sat and leave Thursday with possibly at least one break day to be careful.
    The Boston/Berlin bus stops at Pinkham (about 9PM). Having a reservation, at the Joe Dodge lodge allows for an early start the next day and is likely much less expensive than a motel in Gorham, especially on a Saturday when all the ATVers are in town and the room rates are at a premium.

While it would be possible to get to Crawford from Lakes in one day, you'd arrive very late and miss the shuttle. Getting back to Boston from Crawford is round about. You need to get back to Gorham for the 7:40 AM bus. So, what I would do is stay at Mizpha so you can arrive at Crawford in time for the AMC shuttle back to Pinkham, spend another night there so you can catch the morning bus back to Boston. Hopefully, you can book an afternoon return flight home.

Two nights at Joe Dodge and three hut stays is going to run some serious cash, it will be well worth joining the AMC to get the discounted price.

So, you'r looking at Sat (arrive Pinkham), Sun (Madison), Mon (LOC), Tue (Mizpha), Wen (back to Pinkham), Thurs (heading home)
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

This morning I booked a flight to Manchester and small rental car arriving on a Saturday. Hope to be in the area mid afternoon and flight back Friday morning. I am trying to allow enough days to enjoy the area even if some rain days. With that out of the way I am trying to decide what nights to stay where and reserve that asap. This morning I also joined the AMC for what seems to be a huge discount and return far more than the $50 fee to join. I also sent them an email asking when I will get what I guess is a membership number to use for the discounts.

Trying to decide best place to park the car A few times in the past in other states I have made arrangements for a shuttle to drive me days away from my car and hike back which seems the best to me but I have never had buses available. I have seen the bus schedule but all of this is new to me so hard to decide what exactly to do. I wonder about parking my car at Crawford and catching a bus to Pinkham where I would spend the night and either start hiking the next morning from there or catch a bus to Appalachia. It does look like there is a bus stop at 4 at Highland and then arrives at 5 at Pinkham. Should I should purchase a parking pass online. Would I have to pay to park in the area of Crawford for a few days. The Shapleigh Bunkhouse also looks like an interesting lodge area and read and see photos of a good view from Mt Willard nearby so would be interested staying there either my first night from the airport or last night before heading back home.

I have wondered if I should start my main hike up to Madison on Monday to avoid the greater weekend population. Sunday I would mainly explore the area and probably do a short hike. I would also love to tent camp at least one night somewhere official on the mountain which is what I normally do but I wish that could be reserved. Possibly the Nauman site.

I appreciate help with how much to do per day and wondered about skipping the Mizpha area to get to the valley to stay in Shapleigh Bunkhouse.

Journal Entries

I just booked my stays at AMC locations and I am glad I did since it seems at least the weekends in the valleys are already full just like my flight and they are not until early non official summer. I had chosen to arrive on a Saturday booking my flight yesterday because of only two seats left and nothing available at Pinkham until Sunday night so I have a good while to find some cheap place to stay in the valley Saturday night and if possible I would love to just park the car and take a walk and hike to what I choose as a campsite which is my common method of backpacking but taking it rather easy for next few days on the mountains which will be totally new to me.

My last night will be the Shaleigh Bunkhouse and I have months to figure out where to park my car for a few days and easily get back to it at least via the AMC bus. This will all be to celebrate my 60th birthday a few weeks before I arrive and with at least some good weather possibly the most interesting trip of my life.

No parking fee at the Pinkham Notch Parking lot. AMC guests park for free a Highland/Shapleigh bunkhouse lot. Depending on what hut you booked I strongly suggest starting at Madison Hut.

For the vast majority of the whites, there is a 1/4 mile rule. Park at 99% of the trailheads, walk 1/4 of mile and camp. Many trails follow watersheds and usually 1/4 mile in gets you spot in woods near a stream. Worse case is I can supply you a drive in campsite about 1/2 mile from Appalachia at my woodlot. Its got water but no facilities.

Journal Entries

Are you allowed to park at Pinkham or Highland for multiple days when only staying there one night. I currently look to park in the area of Highland and take a shuttle to Pinkham for one night and will be walking back over a few days to my car. I am staying at Madison my 2nd night, 3rd LOC, 4th Mizpah and last Shapleigh. Seems like a lot of time on the mountain and no where near my normal distance but the terrain is all rather new so need to allow time. Hopefully I have some decent weather and I believe this will give me two days to possibly get to Washington preferably early before the train and road are even open.

My understanding is while you are guest of the AMC at the huts that you can park in the lots at Pinkham and Crawford Notch. Give them a call to confirm.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++