WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Smallest, single blade, Buck Knife. I started hiking in 1969. I carried a huge K bar type knife. Soon, I realized I would not have to fight a bear, so I went to a Swiss Army Knife. Soon, I realized I would unlikely need a Cork screw (sad, but true). Then, I bought the Buck Knife. NO, I will not move to a razor blade. I am fully evolved.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Journal Entries

Tiny Swiss arm knife with little scissors attached. Probably weighs about 1/2 oz.

Spyderco Delica 4

Images

For day-in, day-out backpacking, the Victorinox Classic with P38 can opener attached.
    https://www.rei.com/product/403028/s...-classic-knife

-OR-

If I’m fishing the Highcountry, an Opinel no.6.
    https://www.rei.com/product/156926/o...l-pocket-knife

The no.6 will also work to take apart an entire elk for backpack hunts…

Nothing special just a basic Mora.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Quote Originally Posted by BradMT View Post
    For day-in, day-out backpacking, the Victorinox Classic with P38 can opener attached.
    https://www.rei.com/product/403028/s...-classic-knife

-OR-

If I’m fishing the Highcountry, an Opinel no.6.
    https://www.rei.com/product/156926/o...l-pocket-knife

The no.6 will also work to take apart an entire elk for backpack hunts…
    My oldest son lives in Anchorage and swears by the No.6 Opinel
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Same stuff I carry every day: Victorinox Classic and Spyderco Delica 4. The Classic's scissors, and occasionally the tweezers, are all I ever seem to use when backpacking, though.
    20220123_193047.jpg

What, nobody carries a 1 pound Rambo survival knife?

A couple of years back I was doing the Copper Ridge loop in North Cascades National Park when we encountered a group of 4-5 backpackers carrying these huge knives and also very large revolvers, probably .45 caliber, open carry. And gigantic backpacks as well... ready for the apocalypse.

I looked it up when I got home and it is legal there, as I presumed then since they weren't being shy about it. There is some black bear activity in the area, but I suspect they'd have been in a world of doo-doo had they actually shot one.

Images

follding Victorinox serrated blade

Leonidas

First AT section, I carried an ESEE 3. Processed wood with it when we were wet and cold. Next year, carried an ESEE 4. Decided to go lighter and carried a couple different Spyderco knives until I temporarily lost one and realized it was worth a decent amount of money. Picked up a Byrd Meadowlark 2, then went to the smaller Finch 2. I really wanted a Benchmade Bugout but the price put it back in the realm of "I will be mad should I lose this". Now a days, I carry no knife, instead I have a pair of titanium scissors. Cuts bandages, moleskin, skin, etc and I haven't missed any of the knives.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Benchmade Mini Griptillian but likely going with spyderco manix 2 lightweight.

I carry a cheap plastic handled stainless steel coleman or ozark trail from the walmart camping section that cost me about $3.00 and weighs next to nothing.

About all I do with it is open the occasional food packet that won't tear by hand and cut the occasional piece of cordage.

At first I didn't want to waste the time sharpening something that cost so little, but since I have a Lansky sharpening system, it only takes a few minutes once I got the initial angle set... and it's fun putting an edge on something so cheap that's sharp enough to shave.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++